Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
yellowdog
coyotehunter

Re: COLD temp. powders?

Post by yellowdog »

22-250AI wrote:CCI 200's rock my jock strap !!!
Wat to much information! :roll:
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Varget is also my go to powder in a 22-250. Very consistant from the June PD towns to the Jan coyote stands. CCI benchrest primers have been super for me for going on 10 years now. 36.5 gr Varget(close to or at book max....start lower for safetys sake),CCI BR primers and a 50gr Vmax at 3700fps. I trim to 1.902(minimum case length) and seat the bullets .05thou off the rifling although this will normally vary in different rifles....long throats...ect..ect. Been very easy on the fur and turns the inside of a coyote to jello. :D

To each his own but this works for me.

Good luck
yellowdog
coyotehunter

Post by yellowdog »

The new IMR 8208 XBR is what you want as far as the most versitle powder for varmint calibers. Temps are not even an issue with this powder. Varget is good, but 8208 XBR is better for the .204, 22-250, .223, .308 etc. http://www.imrpowder.com/rifle.html
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I just shot my rifle this morning, 5 degrees, and its still spot on from when I last shot it at the range early october 65 degrees. I am shoot H4350 extreme powder
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I don't know! I've been shooting center-fires since the 70's with most of my shooting done late fall and all winter long in varis temp.'s with cartridges from the 221 F.B. up to the 22-250ackley. I use what powders give the highest vel. and best accuracy and have yet to see any problems with the temp., powder or primers.. Some powders canbe a little touchy at max loads so I usually back off a grain or two (best accuracy)... If you work up a load to max dureing the colder month's it dosen't matter what powder you use its gonna be unsafe in the summer with higher temp.s and you will also see a vel. loss as the temp.s drop. In other words that 4000 fps load you worked up in july is'nt going to be moveing the bullet that fast in Jan with -15 temps. Another reason why some bullets don't tear up the hide one day and blow a big hole the next, also where you hit them plays a part..
Two years ago this question came up from one of the members of the crew I hunted with so I carried my chrono along and met up one mourning and checked his load vel. a few days later we had a rise in the temps and noticed this guys 243 cartridge was doing some hide damage so we checked it again on the chrono and found his bullets where moveing faster than the previous time we checked it..
The so called no-temp sensative powder is only going to help you out when shooting in the hot summer month's if youre load was worked up with simular temps that you willbe shooting in at that time, come winter it is'nt going to do anything to help youre vel. it will drop with the temps..
If you think you need to use it for youre applacation of hunting then go ahead, I don't worry about it....
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

on my .22-6mm and my .22-.250 AI I only see about a 1" drop @ 500 yds for each 100 fps drop in velocity. On the loads I have checked through a chronograph over the past decade, I just do not see enough velocity drop from summer to winter to cause mcuh concern. Everyones experience can be different. I just do not see a very big impact in effective bullet drop with change of velocity in the summer to winter months.
Coyotes Forever