Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
devildogg
coyotehunter

Re: Ultimate tournament rifle

Post by devildogg »

I had the opportunity to shoot a 20 lynx something around the a 20 tac. if im correct. it had a supressor on it and i just couldnt believe how quiet it made that gun unbelievable. it completely blew my socks off ive never herd one or shot one before that but it is a different sound all together absolutely no recoil. some guys ive talked to about them say they are about as quiet as a 22 mag but it was definately alot quieter than a 22 long rifle you could do some serious damage on doubles and triples with on i think. the sound that came out of the barrel was unidirectional and at 100 yrds you couldnt tell which way the sound was coming from it sounded like it was all around you. the down fall to one is they are heavy and really weigh your gun down. but if you didnt mind luging it around all day it would make a really cool tourny tool to maybe put a couple extra dogs in the truck. to get one all you need to do is win one big tourny to pay for it. with the license and paper work to own one it cost about 16oo big ones but man i think it would be cool 8).
kflan22
coyotehunter

Post by kflan22 »

Hi guys I'm new here and thought I'd give my 2 cents.

Why not a good old .25-06 shooting some 87 or 100 grain bullets for tournament rifle? Surprisingly, with both bullet weights pelt damange isn't that bad, and talk about a flat shooting caliber. 100 grainers at 3300 and 87's between 34 & 3500 fps. Whats not to like?

Oh and BTW, great website and forum. Lots of great info and people on here.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

welcome to the site :) i have had 2 25-06's and loved them.coyotehunter.net tourneys have a .243 maximum caliber though.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

bucksnbears wrote:welcome to the site :) i have had 2 25-06's and loved them.coyotehunter.net tourneys have a .243 maximum caliber though.
Did not know this!!!! :o So any thing in a 6mm or .243 is the max???? Like does a 6x47 qualify or not ?????
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Optimax90 wrote:
bucksnbears wrote:welcome to the site :) i have had 2 25-06's and loved them.coyotehunter.net tourneys have a .243 maximum caliber though.
Did not know this!!!! :o So any thing in a 6mm or .243 is the max???? Like does a 6x47 qualify or not ?????
sorry opti, your gonna have to shoot a .17hmr :mrgreen:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

please keep your rifles .243 or under, all coyotes are going to be sold.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

LeviM wrote:please keep your rifles .243 or under, all coyotes are going to be sold.
Good point levi!!! I dont know about you guys, but does your furbuyer like them with dime size holes, or basketball size?
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
kflan22
coyotehunter

Post by kflan22 »

If I would have known about tourney rules I wouldn't have mentioned the 25. Don't the super fast .22's and .243's with varmint bullets tear up coyotes pretty bad? Wouldn't that rule these rifles out of tournaments too?

What kind of bullets are the .243 guys shooting?
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

bucksnbears wrote:
Optimax90 wrote:
sorry opti, your gonna have to shoot a .17hmr :mrgreen:
Damn!! I might just as well grab my wrist rocket then :lol: Although knowing all the gun/scope alterations bucks does, he would end up altering my tubbing, and it would hit me instead :x
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

lyonch wrote:
LeviM wrote:please keep your rifles .243 or under, all coyotes are going to be sold.
Good point levi!!! I dont know about you guys, but does your furbuyer like them with dime size holes, or basketball size?
I dont know, one of the absolute WORST rifles for damage I ever saw was a .243.

I know i know i know, a lots in the bullet selection. Im just saying. :mrgreen:
kflan22
coyotehunter

Post by kflan22 »

Sorry to bring this up again but I shot a couple more coyotes with my 25-06 just recently and was very happy with the results. So far, I can honestly say that the coyotes I've shot with the 25 have had less damage than some I've shot with 22 cals. Ranges have been from 30 to about 280 yards. Bullet is 100 grain Hornady interlock @ 3350 fps. Too bad the tourney's don't allow this caliber because unless you want to build a custom rifle its a tough one to beat.