Ultimate tournament rifle

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: Ultimate tournament rifle

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Tbush your system is a good one more people need to put it the time to figure that out with duplex or mildot so that they can range fast!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Terry,
I get it and practice it all the time bowhunting,most of the time rifle hunting anything but yotes,and some of the time on them but past 400 or so,'instinct' doesn't work for me except it reads just 'far'. :D
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Dcoy wrote:past 400 or so,'instinct' doesn't work for me except it reads just 'far'. :D
Yeah my instinct when i get past 200 yards says "Good Luck" :oops: :lol:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

lyonch wrote:
Dcoy wrote:past 400 or so,'instinct' doesn't work for me except it reads just 'far'. :D
Yeah my instinct when i get past 200 yards says "Good Luck" :oops: :lol:
me to, :oops: accuracy through volume :D :mrgreen:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Tbush I like your response, and its very true. I just started practicing my shooting last summer, thanks to some tips from dcoy, brad, and jamie!!!!!! (thanks again) I really learned alot in just one GOOD summer of shooting! Tournaments I have learned it comes down to hit what you shoot at!!!! and it order to accomplish this you need to know your gun and bullet
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

Me also, past the 350 or so Its just far
a proud member of the "IF" team
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

If I was going to do it all over again, I'd choose a 6.5x47Lapua. Or even the 6-6.5x47Lapua. I think either one would give you a decent round count and still have great BC bullets to choose from.

Right now I'm using a plain old 308win, it works great on coyotes, it isn't exactly a speed demon but It is accurate and consistent. That really want you need to feel comfortable with the round. I use to shoot with my 22-250, or 243 but i just wanted the distance.

The next thing that really helps a lot is a ballistic calculator, a good range finder and a wind meter. Granted you're not going to need all this equipment about 95% of the time because you'll be able to pick them up at a decent distance. But it's for those ones that decided they don't want rabbit. Sit down and listen to everything you can throw at them. It's at that moment, you pull out your equipment and put it to use.

so it really isn't the caliber you choose but one that you feel comfortable shooting.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

How far is far, note coyote layin in snow bank. Also note tree for reference in next pic.

Randy Roede
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Would this be far??? Dead calm and approx 400 yards. Hell no I did not go look at it, it was at least three heart attacks away!! Those are 200-300 foot deep riverbreaks. Seriously it's not as important what you shoot but knowing you and your guns limitations. This shot was done with a mostly factory 22-250, factory ammo etc. But it's like my righthand and i shoot it a lot. I do not shoot hail mary's on complaints but during a tournament when you need everyone hell ya!! I kept track of a very substantial number of coyotes called in and killed and with factory gun and ammo it was over 90% so new guys don't think you need a high dollar custom gun to kill coyotes. You could buy the exact same gun scope I shoot for around $1000. You just need a gun that shoots straight with good optics and shoot it!! You will not always have time to range, wind etc.

Personally i never change power in my scope, it is always on 10X, I can come close on range by the size in the scope, I have the heavy to fine reticle, a coyote that fits on the fine reticle from side to side on a broadside is roughly 400 yards, what I consider a reasonable shot and the maximum range I will take coyotes on complaints.

I have a target turret installed on the scope, memorized settings to 600 yards when time allows.

Whether it be a 22- 250 a 243 or a 308 all very popular calibers practice and proper sighting in procedures and proper cleaning etc. anyone can do it. Oh yea, you shoot a little better after you have killed a few and they don't get you rattled anymore, another words when you get old!!!LOL

Randy Roede
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Nice poke Randy. I got a 400 yarder last week with the Pred. also.. :mrgreen:
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Nice shot Randy! You are right that is atleast 3 heart attacks away!!! The snow is getting tougher and tougher to walk in!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

Randy,
your absolutely right about shooting a lot of coyotes, the more you shoot the nummer you get. It really cuts down on the shakes, I see this quite often with guys that don't get out as much. The more you take the more you can control your heart and breathing and the steadier you can get. I don't take long shots on complaints either. I'll work them from a different angle. By long shots I'm talking right in that 400yd mark, When they reach out that far stuff can go wrong really quick, so yeah Randy that's far. Under 400 i'll use my range finder and turrets, over 400 i'll use my range finder, ballistics computer and turrets. I always have the computer in my pocket just in case. The further out you go the steeper the bullets decent, so when you get way out there the bullet is coming down on them, so it's more critical to get a decent range and adjustment.

Tim with that 17pred, I'd say that 400yds is extreme long range shooting. What grain bullet are you using in that thing? 30g or so? that's some nice work.

My ultimate tournament rifle would be as light as I could get it, probably in that 7.5-8.5lbs, very good glass (Mark4, NF, IOR, USOptics, etc), and a decent round that a person feels comfortable shooting. In my case I'd go with a 6.5 bullet.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Great shot Randy!! I personally prefer to shoot the coyotes close, even in a tournament, mainly because that is an extra 1,200 yards you would have to walk up and over the hills and then drag him back to the truck only to waste a good 2 hours of hunting :? Great analogy on the heart attacks away for distance :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

don't get me wrong Lyonch, I like to kill them close too, and about 99% of the time I do, but there are always going to be the ones that you may pass up because it's to far out there and when you get back to the check in at the end of the night to come up short, it'll be in the back of your mind.

xdeano
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

we never pass up a shot, hes just saying its alot easier to get them close! if there out there 800 yards sitting on their ass for 30minutes, I guarantee hes shooting!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"