CCI Bench Rest primers????

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

LeviM
coyotehunter

CCI Bench Rest primers????

Post by LeviM »

Okay guys bare with me, I am still "green" when it comes to reloading. So, I take my daily noon hour trip to scheels to look for primers. I walk in and take my normal route to the primer case thinking the same old story, it will be empty. Got to the case and see some CCI Bench rest primers large rifle. Great, now I am confused! I looked at them through the case probably for 5 minutes intill someone walks by asks if I need help. I told him I am on a primer hunt, and whats the difference between standard large rifle primers and Benchrest primers. According to the scheels guy, they are better primer due to the fact that the powder is more finely packed with more precision. So, knowing if I leave to research them and come back they will be gone, so I purchased a brick.

Can I believe the "scheels guy," are they a better primer, and are they a good hunting primer? Help me out guys, I know I am alittle slow! Can someone explain standard large rifle primers vs benchrest primers? Thanks guys

I apologize there is already a topic, I never looked that far down on the page!
Last edited by LeviM on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Re: CCI Bench Rest primers????

Post by Fallguy »

Levi

I am not the best source but at least this will make you feel good. If I remember right from what xdeano said when he taught me to reload is that the bench rest and match primers undergo more quality control at the factory than a regular primer. Competition shooters use them for increased consistency. I would say they will work very consistent for you, so I would say you will use up that brick. Not sure about what the Scheels guy said or what he meant by that really.

If I am wrong I apologize but it is because I am a rookie at reloading also.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

From what I heard on Benchrest Central.com is exactly what Fallguy said. A fella on that site that worked at CCI said that they are exactly the same as reg CCI Lg rifle primers but just more closely inspected and questionable ones weeded out.

As far as performance, i have used them in my 22-250s and my .243 for years and hav ZERO bad to say about them. They are the primer of choice(them and Federal gold medal match primers) of many BR shooters(pretty much the most accuracy minded guys in the world).

I would try them for sure. If you dont like them or they dont shoot or produce the velocity you like, I will take them off your hands gladly. :D I'll bet they shoot for ya tho.

Good luck,

Jaybic
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

lucky bastage!!! :mrgreen: you shouda bought more :shock: :shock: . i've used cci br for thousands of rounds and the work great.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Bucks head to scheels, they still have some in stock. I might be going back!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

fy were you, I'd go back and buy EVERY ONE they got!!! Pd/benchrest/shooting season is coming up and you wont be able to find a one of them SOBs pretty soon. Go get MORE or you'll be sorry. I guarantee it!

Jaybic
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i'll be there when the doors open today :D
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

SCORED!!!. holy shit, 50.00$ brick :shock: :shock: :shock: . had a hundred $ bill so figured i'd get a couple cans of powder to. reloading ain't so cheap anymore.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

bucksnbears wrote:SCORED!!!. holy shit, 50.00$ brick :shock: :shock: :shock: . had a hundred $ bill so figured i'd get a couple cans of powder to. reloading ain't so cheap anymore.
I also got a couple bricks, and some brass, I almost crapped my self at the check out counter!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

bucksnbears wrote:SCORED!!!. holy shit, 50.00$ brick :shock: :shock: :shock: . had a hundred $ bill so figured i'd get a couple cans of powder to. reloading ain't so cheap anymore.
I know it sucks but if you buy a regular brick of CCI's or Federal or what ever primers there are still going to run $35.00-$40.00 a brick anyway.
Thats only a penny a shot more any way you look at it......

Last brick of BR-2 I got were just under $60.00! but I wanted them so there you go. I got a brick of regular large rifle CCI's a few weeks ago for $23.00 a brick, and they had plenty.....

Scheels is not showing all there cards, I will bet anything on it..... The couple of places that I have got primers from are small shops and they have primers coming out there ears, and are not putting a limit on them. Scheels has a boat load they are just holding back, IMO :wink:
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

good to see you back :) .i should be stocked up for awhile. 3000 lr and 2000 sr i'll still get them when i can and try to keep a good pile handy. the chinese may come sneaking through our back yards soon :?
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Just Stopped at a little gun shop not to far from my place, they had almost every primer you could ask for..

CCI BR-2's were 56.00 a brick
Federal 210M (match grade) were 49.99 a brick and they had about 25 bricks!

Not alot of Remington large rifle, but a few.

You can't tell me Scheels don't have the buying power to have a shit load of primers on hand, they are holding back big time..........
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I could really use those federal 210 primers!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

yeah me too the Fed 210M are what I shoot for accuracy. I had a buddy a few years ago that had some issues with the CCI BR primers, he had about 4 miss fires on his 250 from a box of 50. I don't know if it was the primer or the firing pin. He later had other issues with that gun and decommissioned it.

Where is this store you speak of Optimax90? I'll agree with you about them holding out, it would be really easy for them to be charging a bit more for the product. Demand always causes price hikes.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

I myself like winchester standard primers they work great and are very consistant. The problem I found with CCI BR primers is they are not as hot as the winchesters over the cronograph and also I didn't find them to be any more consistant either and in fact a tad less than my standard winchester primers. This is with weight sorted brass and each charge scaled on a redding scale, so I asked myself why pay more for a product not as good? Others must be seeing the same as winchester LR primers are still very hard to come buy but I have close to 2,000 on hand so no worries.