Where can I buy Vihtavouri powder?

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Nodak72
coyotehunter

Where can I buy Vihtavouri powder?

Post by Nodak72 »

I want to buy Vihtavouri powder to use in my 22-250, but I live north of Devils Lake N.D. and as far as I know the only way to get any is to order it through the net, which involves A pretty good Haz-Mat fee for A pound or two of powder! My brother can bring me some from Glenrock Wyo, but that wouldn't be until May! I am however going to Rochester Minn in 5 day's, I will be going through Fargo and Minneapolis! Does anyone know of anywhere in that area where I could buy some on my trip?
Thanks, NoDak
LeviM
coyotehunter

Re: Where can I buy Vihtavouri powder?

Post by LeviM »

Scheels in Fargo, has a couple varities, Not sure if they have any in stock or not, might be worth your time to check
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Nodak72
coyotehunter

Post by Nodak72 »

Thank's Levi, I will have to check them out on my way back from Rochester! I bought A thousand CCI large rifle primers :D in scheels in Grand Forks three or four weeks ago, but no Vihtavouri :cry: , I picked up some H4831SC for my 270, and my 243, though! :D
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

nodak, just wondering why that brand??? is there a load thats out there that is good with that powder. just wondering because it's seldom mentioned.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Nodak72
coyotehunter

Post by Nodak72 »

I Have A brother in Wyoming that's A benchrest shooter,he suggested it! I was going to develop A load with seirra 55gr hollow point Game king's! He's not completely partial to Vihtavouri he uses Hodgden too! if its to much of A pain in the butt to find I may consider Varget or H380!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

8) post a load if you find a keeper :)
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Nodak72
coyotehunter

Post by Nodak72 »

Will do, buck's! I'm just getting into the reloading thing, and i'm having A blast ladder testing loads! I like to shoot! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I believe Vihtavouri is a good powder and i use it in most of my rifles. They also have a 500 series that allows you to get a little more volume and vel.. I use mostly N-140, N-540, N-550, and N-560...
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

VV powder is good stuff. It's mainly used over seas but in recent years it has become popular with the US crowd. I know several people that use it and swear by it. I've seen it in the Sportsmans Loft in Fargo, which has changed hands again to Sportsman Warehouse or something. I know they have it anyhow. Only certain ones though. The 500 series is suppose to be a bit less temperature sensitive than the 100 series.

Varget is good stuff also, it's all I shoot anymore. It's hard to come by but it's worth it.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Feel free to stop into scheels in st. cloud and look. They have been doing a good job on keeping powder on hand, but the primers are another story.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

Yeah the grand forks scheels has primers, but none of the Match/BR primers. kind of sucks.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Nodak72,

I might be able to help. There is a place in Morristown, MN(kinda on the way really) called Ahlmans Gun Shop and it is a BIG gun shop and they usually have some VV on hand. The number is 507-685-4280. Otherwise, you will pass by 1 Cabellas(Rogers, MN) on the way here and be close to a second one(Owatonna, MN) and either one may have it on hand

There is also a local gunshop here in Rochester that has a great deal of stuff but I dont remember seeing any VV recently but ya never know. If you call 507-289-8303 and ask for Clint, he can tell ya for sure. We also have Gander Mountain here in town and they might have it also.

Good luck and PM me if you need more info or directions.

Jaybic
Nodak72
coyotehunter

Post by Nodak72 »

Thank's for the info Jaybic, were taking off at noon for rochester, tommorow I'm going to call those place's you suggested and see what I can find!
ducksmuggler
coyotehunter

Post by ducksmuggler »

It a fair ways out of your way bout an 1hr. + but a Gregersons (Ace hardware) 715-648-3246 in Baldwin WIS. is a small gun shop that caters to reloaders for the most part.
If its good enough; Better is achievable
ilike2hunt
coyotehunter

Post by ilike2hunt »

Dunno if your still looking for powder, but sportsman's loft in Minot carries Vihtavouri, and Scheels might also(don't remember for sure).