Remington Short Action

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

JustinR

Remington Short Action

Post by JustinR »

Hey guys I am looking for a good Remington Short Action rifle. I want to have a .243 Ackley custom built and I would like to keep my costs down as much as possible by hopefully finding a good used rifle action. If anyone knows of someone or somewhere I can find a good deal, PLEASE let me know. Thanks, JR
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Remington Short Action

Post by lyonch »

Justin if you know a little about guns, you can always check a few pawn shops and maybe pick up a used gun that has a shot out barrel and a great action.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

I've been looking around, but it seems that since Obama got into office everyone with a gun and who wants to sell it thinks that they should charge a whore houses price for it!!! But like you said even if the guns barrel is shot out or the stock is messed up they still want close to new price.
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

i know where you can get a FN SPR action for around 350 or so. NEW but, It's just the action. It's not a Rem700, but a control feed action, it's a worked over Win model 70 pre '64. they're great actions.

Other than that start looking on auction sites, go to some gun shows, newspapers, or online for sale ads.

If you want some info on that FN action let me know. They come with either a trap door magazine or a drop mag.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Man, I wish you luck Justin!!!! I have heard from alot of guys that are trying to find a remington action, and cant find anything. Lot of people are buying new guns just for the action. If I hear of anything I will let you know.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

a controlled feed action would be better for the ackley round, ask your smith. Trust me, if I'd do another custom I'd go with another control feed action, I don't have to worry about checking to see a round made it into the chamber. They're smooth and the FN action allows a person to field strip the firing pin without tools where a 700 you need a tool/tools.

Reliability!

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i agree on the controlled round feed. alot of P.H's in africa insist on them. i think rugers are c-r. feed????
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

controlled round feed rifles will require more tooling and time if the action needs to be blue printed and not all gunsmith's are set up for this. The actions are also heavier and depending on what cartridge you use there canbe to much bolt movement required to chamber the next round. Take a savage for example very long bolt throw compared to a Rem or Sako..
They canbe cleaned up but the money that it costs could be spent on another barrel for a Hotrod Rem....
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

tim not to be an ass, but if a smith doesn't have the tools or expertise to notch a barrel or do a truing job on an action, he isn't a smith. Plain and simple.

You don't want a hobbyist doing your gun smiting, because you're more than likely going to get an experiment, and experiments don't usually turn out the greatest.

The actions are no heavier. The bolt throw on my 700 and my GAP are the same thing, you have to open the bolt the same distance, if you didn't the next shell wouldn't pop up out of the mag well. They're identical, only the controlled feed action will feed rounds upside down if you want. And my pre 64 winchester action has a decent extractor claw compaired to the 700. Don't get me wrong, I like the 700 action, but for the Ackley cartridges you're better off with a control fed action.

xdeano
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

tim not to be an ass, but if a smith doesn't have the tools or expertise to notch a barrel or do a truing job on an action, he isn't a smith. Plain and simple.
The problem is mainly the action . Take a look at youre bolt and see how many areas would have to be refitted if the bolt face was trued up.. Most gunsmiths can fit a barrel to the action but like i said not alot of them have the tooling (jig) to blue print them.. The gunsmith's not set up for it are still good gunsmith's and can rebarrel one for you just can't do the blueprinting..
If you do a search you will find some gunsmith's are set up for it and specialize at it, but its also spendy if done right compared to a Rem. or other brands.. Also take a look at what most BR shooters use for a action, most actions used are a clone of a rem or very simular..
Less work and time and money needed when building off of them..

Now back to blue printing the action.. If the boltface has to be squared up then the big claw extractor would also have to be set back depending on how much metal is removed..
You can take a blue-printed Rem and have a Sako extractor installed and it will handle the ackley cartridges like a 22-250 imp or a 243 imp.
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Back to the 700 action question--- I see xdeano's point but I'm personally not too worried about 700 feeding and if I were to build a 243 AI it would be equipped with a single-stack magazine. I can also strip a 700 assembly without tools.

Look for a 700 rifle with a .47 bolt face. Comb the online gun broker sites for keywords:

700 adl

700 youth

Any .308 family is a .47 short-action - see 243,260,7m08,308. Another option is a .47 bolt face in long action - see 25/06, 270, 30/06. A 243 AI with long action bolt length and single-stack mag will allow for longer bullets and feed reliability.

I can find 700 adl and youth model rifles for sale for under $400 on a regular basis. Anything under $400 is a decent deal. The other thing to consider is the recovery value of the parts from a complete rifle vs action only. Parts include stock, action screws, trigger guard, magazine, spring & follower, barrel, trigger mechanism... all of these have enough liquid value to expect at least $100 in recovery.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Pilgrim wrote: The other thing to consider is the recovery value of the parts from a complete rifle vs action only. Parts include stock, action screws, trigger guard, magazine, spring & follower, barrel, trigger mechanism... all of these have enough liquid value to expect at least $100 in recovery.

Thats a very good point pilgrim!! There's nothing better than to already have a part on hand instead of hoping it gets there before the next tournament :shock:
Chris Lyon

bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

what is the difference between an adl and a bdl??
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

Ok so I'll ask, JustinR, are you going to be using this rifle for BR matches where you're going to be putting one round in at a time or are you going to be using this for coyotes and the like where you're going to want a magazine?

Well my action has been trued/blueprinted. If you start off with a good action you shouldn't have to do a whole lot to it. I understand that with your remingtons you'll have to do some truing to get them to shoot decent. I have remington also, I do like them, but remington has been going down hill in the last few years, and a lot of manufactures are doing clones of the 700 action because they are a strong action. That being said the Win mod 70 pre64 action is basically a clone of a 1898 mauser and 1903 Springfield actions that has been around for a lot longer and is more reliable when you need reliability.

Ruger, Winchester, FN, Kimber and some of the old CZ's are based off the same action. But there are also a ton of similar Rem700 actions. I guess buy what ever you want.

xdeano
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

bucks if i remeber right, the bdl has a drop plate for the bullets to fall out from the internal magazine, and the adl or cdl; has the clip feature or a magazine with no bottom plate to drop the shells out. It is remington's way of descripting there guns magazine style.
Chris Lyon