20x47 Lapua..

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

20x47 Lapua..

Post by Tim Anderson »

I just talked with Keavin Weaver the gunsmith who is doing this build for me. Kevin willbe doing surgery starting next week on the 20x47 Lapua. I can hardly wait!!!! :mrgreen:
xdeano
coyotehunter

Re: 20x47 Lapua..

Post by xdeano »

that will be an interesting round. I've been wanting to rebarrel my 308 with either the 6-6.5x47L or the standard 6.5x47L. I think the case design is pretty decent, if it only had a bit longer neck the barrels would last a bit longer and seating depth would be nicer.

Give us an update on it once you get it back. I'd like to hear what you'll have for velocity. What twist barrel are you going to put on it and brand?

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

It will have a Lilja 1-9" fluted barrel.. Kevin had this fluted barrel already made up except for the chamber and had it just sitting there..So I decided to go with Kevin for a quicker turn-around time over my usual gunsmith..
I will still need to get some custom dies for it and some brass and don't know at the moument when that willbe.. From talking to a few guys that already have one i can exspect 3800 fps. with the 55 gr. bergers an over 4000 fps with the 50 gr... Both bullets are simular to a VLD bullet but not listed as a VLD.. The guys that are useing the 20x47 are useing it for 600 yds matches and doing very well..
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

sounds interesting. the 55's actually have a very decent BC. Now i think you might be going in the right direction. I'm not a big fan of the 204 but if you can achieve posted velocities with a decent bullet and higher bc i really think you'll have a coyote killing machine. But with the 55's you might be a bit marginal on the 1:9 twist.

keep us posted.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Not sure if you know Cal Taylor a ADC trapper in Wyoming. He has been working with the 6mmx47, 22x47 and as of late the 20x47.. The 6x47 is'nt that big of a deal other than good quality brass but the 22x47 is a real screamer.. As far as the 1-9" twist being enough for the 55 gr. from what i have been told it works well but if you took the 1-9" and used a smaller cartridge necked to 20 cal. then there could be a problem of the cartridge not moveing the bullet fast enough for the bullet to stableize.. I think cal is also useing the bullets on the heavier side and more interested in just blowing the coyotes up ..
Even though the 55 gr. is going 3800 fps it will still have a edge over my 17 pred. as far as wind drift and a little more energy way out there.. I look for cartridges that shoot fast and flat and also do very little hide damage. My 22-250 ackley does this but i do get some damage from time to time and hopefully the 22x47 will replace it and without the damage..
rorycoyote
coyotehunter

Post by rorycoyote »

i dont know anything about the 20x47 but i local gunsmith has the reamers for the 22x47. he really likes his, hes shooting the 75 gn amax bullets.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

My rem. Tactical chambered in 20x47 showed up today so i got the scope base and rings mounted along with a Leupold scope with Var. reticle. The Leupold maybe just temperary till i can get ahold of another 10X super-sniper scope with a Kenton dial. I still need to get the dies and brass for it and hopefully have it ready for the V.H. Mr. coyote contest held in July..
I talked with Cal and he had his 20x47along with him for a coyote and pig hunt in Texas. he said it really put the hurt on the coyotes and was easey on the fur as well...
Here are a few pic's..
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Good looking rifle. Is your "dog bone" homemade like Cals or did you buy one somewhere?
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Mine was made and givein to me by a friend out of Mo. that i have hunted with from time to time. I noticed when i was out to Scott H. a few years ago he had one simular and my friend may have gotten the idea from Scott since he has taken instruction from him as well....
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

pretty nice looking stick. I like the spiral fluting. I'd thought about doing that to my rig to take off a few oz. Any idea on barrel life? 2000-2500 rounds?

I expect a full range report from you Tim. :D

It looks like a shooter.

xdeano
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Tim Anderson wrote:My rem. Tactical chambered in 20x47 showed up today so i got the scope base and rings mounted along with a Leupold scope with Var. reticle. The Leupold maybe just temperary till i can get ahold of another 10X super-sniper scope with a Kenton dial. I still need to get the dies and brass for it and hopefully have it ready for the V.H. Mr. coyote contest held in July..
I talked with Cal and he had his 20x47along with him for a coyote and pig hunt in Texas. he said it really put the hurt on the coyotes and was easey on the fur as well...
Here are a few pic's..
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Wow,looks and sounds great Tim!
Gotta love those velocities with those bullets.Should be an awesome performer.I'm a velocity guy and absent sideline considerations,want as much velocity as accuracy allows.
The quote(Jim Carmichel)that best sums it up:

"Gravity,for a fact,causes bullets to fall,and even when accounting for the minor vagaries of aerodynamic lift we can say that all bullets,regardless of caliber,WEIGHT,and forward velocity,fall at the same rate.Thus we have come to understand that bullet drop is a function of TIME,not distance.This,in turn,leads to the understanding that in order for a bullet to have a flat trajectory in relation to horizontal distance,it must make efficient use of the time interval gravity has allotted.But we also have learned that high muzzle velocity alone is not the answer.If a bullet is to make efficient use of its UNIVERSALLY prescribed time intervals,it must RETAIN its velocity."

Heavy,high BC bullets on their own do little.(put a.600 BC 200 grain bullet in a poor,low powder case-45/70,and you have a dog)Heavy well constructed bullets with velocity,RETAINED velocity,are what help.
'Time' bucks wind and drop,not weight.And few companies,if any,are as open about it as Lapua.Their ads often say it all and emphasize their bullets are designed to allow increased pressures and velocities.Here's a couple examples from their ads in the latest Midway catalogue:

"The sleek profile helps maintain velocity at longer ranges,and Lapua's unique Silver jacket coating helps achieve higher muzzle velocities without excessive chamber pressures."

Or, "This construction allows higher chamber pressure and muzzle velocity than traditional full metal jacket bullet construction.Lock base bullets are at their best at long and extra long range shooting BECAUSE of their high muzzle velocity,superior accuracy and FLAT TRAJECTORY they can offer."

Never have understood buying expensive bullets and not using them as the design was intended.Great choice!Look forward to the reports!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Good way to look at it Dcoy 8)
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Tim, the stock pod or stabilizer or whatever it's called came from Q, Scott got the idea from him, from a factory version and then the homemade versions started. Never seen the factory versions anywhere, got one from Q but never seen an ad or anything for them. Most likely out of business. The bad part is the homemades are not adjustable like the factories are.
Randy Roede
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Randy I believe you are correct.. I got mine from Shaw and he hunts with Q. If i remember right Scotts looked alot like the one that was sold years ago in the Var. Hunter Mag..
They canbe modified and have a "V" cut in the bottom and then it would have a bite to it then it couldbe adjusted..

Have you had the dogs out yet and if so how they comeing along????
I have a young kid close to town that has a Redbone he wants to give to me. Not sure if i would have the time for it or a use...