Barnes bullet on fur

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

bigdog

Barnes bullet on fur

Post by bigdog »

Anyone have experience with the Barnes x bullet regarding fur damage?
I like to use them in my .243 and the small holes it leaves in deer looks encouraging.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I do not have any reloading experience with the Barnes bullets. Do you have anything smaller than a .243 to shoot coyotes with?
bigdog

Post by bigdog »

jamie,
Yes I do, no shortage of guns but I like to use one gun and get familiar with it and this one really suits me. Savage bolt with detachable box magazine. For minnesota where we actually have to unload and case our gun between stands. I like the 55gr b-tip
and they do a great job as long as they stay inside
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

The only way I know to find out is to give it a try. A lot of guys experiment a long time to get the load that matches there gun in particular. If thats the gun you have confidence in then stick with it, but like jamie said if you would like to start putting up furs you might wanna get use to a smaller caliber. Hopefully you can post some info on those bullets.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I think it is a great idea to stick with one gun. So the wt. of the bullet is a 55gr.? The speed of the bullet will dictate to a large extent what kind of damage you will have.
Dagrizz

Post by Dagrizz »

I use them in a 22-250, have shot lots of yotes and fox, no exits.
Last edited by Dagrizz on Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

great to see you on the board. glad you found us.
Coyotes Forever
Kurt
coyotehunter

Post by Kurt »

DAGRIZZ

What kind of barnes bullets are you using and what load are you using in the 22-250.
Also have you had any problems with copper fouling?
Dagrizz

Post by Dagrizz »

Kurt wrote:DAGRIZZ

What kind of barnes bullets are you using and what load are you using in the 22-250.
Also have you had any problems with copper fouling?
Barnes 36grn Varmint Grenades with 39.1 grs Varget
Daryl
coyotehunter

Re: Barnes bullet on fur

Post by Daryl »

I worked up some different loads for my .22-250 with some 50gr varmint grenades and they all hit the paper sideways :shock: Whats up with that?
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

The velocity of the bullet might be too high. I was told by an old vet that the problem with the .17 centerfire is that the bullet is too small for the velocity it shoots in which in return makes the bullet tumble. He also mentioned that your twist rate of the barrel and grain of bullet along with the velocity is all aligned correctly that it is just a freak thing that can happen. So in other words it is like when the stars align just right weird things can happen. I hope this helps. Maybe someone who has way more year of experience in reloading give you a better answer.
Chris Lyon

Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Well lyonch I have been handloading for 12yrs and it is nothing like stars aligning :wink: I have taken in consideration the velocity factor but I loaded them for 3600ish and out of a .250 that is no where near a high velocity load. They were all over the paper and everyone was sideways.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Daryl i tried to put it into your terms with all the stargazing i know you like to do :wink: this guy just told me that when you have that happen to you that you are either suppose to speed it up or slow it down to see if you can fix it. I dont know i am just telling you what i was told. Who knows maybe your gun likes rainbows and is a little sensitive when you try to play with it :shock:
Chris Lyon

Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Daryl,

Tumbling bullets may have to do with twist rate.

Are the bullets longer than "normal" 50 gr bullets? If so, a longer bullet of the same weight still has a greater bearing surface than the bullets you're used to shooting, which could require a faster rate of twist to stabilize.

Other: Greater velocity may improve stability if you discover your barrel's rate of twist isn't as tight as the bullet needs although it may be that the bullet material has limitations (??)--- just some thoughts.
Last edited by Pilgrim on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

when your bullet starts to tumble you have lost geroscopic stability. could be bad bullets, not building pressure in the barrel, wrong twist for the bullet type,....
How long of a shot were you taking? have you chronegraphed the load?
Coyotes Forever