22-250 Ackley

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Jeff Rheborg
coyotehunter

Re: 22-250 Ackley

Post by Jeff Rheborg »

Optimax,
I couldn't find much for RL 17 either, hi-jacked this recipe off another forum board and worked around it...

No signs of pressure so there is probably some room to work with. Probably won't push it anymore, got the results I wanted... Started at 37.0grs and worked up to 38.3grs, using .3grs increments.

Think I am going to stick with the 65's though. Getting the speed and accuracy I want out of that bullet, but at least I have a back up plan if need be.

Jeff.-
Jeff Rheborg, President
The Varmint Hunters Assoc.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have a .250 AI with a Shilen high grade barrel 26", 1:14 twist. I have the .22-6mm with a 1:9 twist for shooting the heavy stuff. I built it with the 52 gr. bthp sierra bullet in mind. I am shooting 42.5 gr of H380 and getting 3830 fps. I was shooting a 316 and a 609 yard gong the other day with it. Prairie dogs go poof. I love shooting it. Heavy gun and does not move much when you touch off. I am still working with the load, wanted 3900 fps out of it, almost there with no pressure indications at all.
Coyotes Forever
Jeff Rheborg
coyotehunter

Post by Jeff Rheborg »

I am getting 3885fps out of the 65's right now with the IMR. Chronographed showed a handful at 3910fps. No signs of pressure, but I would imagine I am knocking on it's door.

Jeff.
Jeff Rheborg, President
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

wow that is moving. what is the elevation you are shooting at?
Coyotes Forever
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Coyotehunter wrote:I have the .22-6mm with a 1:9 twist for shooting the heavy stuff.
I like the concept of this rifle, but a few guys talk about (second hand info, thats why im asking you) barrel life not being very long??? I heard 1500-1800 rounds, any truth to this....?

That r-17 load i'm going to give a try this week if I can get to the range, only a couple days left be fore the minot hunt.... Not that I need shooting practice :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have been shooting that .22-6mm for about 12 years and I just love it. got 2500+ rounds out of my first barrel. just quit keeping track after that I guess. The guys who say that have never owned one has been my experience, anyone who has had one speaks highly of the round. I shoot mine with the 69 gr. bthp sierra, 47.5 gr r-22, 3500 fps. it will go alot faster but I do not see where I pick up much of an advantage. maybe something like a 1" at 500 yards for each 100 fps over what I am pushing now.
Coyotes Forever
Jeff Rheborg
coyotehunter

Post by Jeff Rheborg »

The elevation at bench #21 here at the range is 1494'...

I don't know how long my barrel will last, but I can't wait to find out... My old factory barrel had 2000+ rounds through it before it got retired. I personally wouldn't worry to much about barrel life... It took me 4 years to push that many rounds through... if you do the math that's roughly $100 (give or take) a year for a new barrel... I have a rifle range right out the back door so I probably reached the 2000+ mark a little faster than most... So I would say even if it is a barrel burner with the life expectancy of 1500-1800 rds, you will still get 5+ years out of it??? Well worth it in my mind if you got a gun that shoots...

Good luck with the load development.

Jeff.
Jeff Rheborg, President
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Good point Jeff.
Coyotes Forever
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

That makes me think i'm shooting WAY to much then.... We went prairie dog hunting once this year and I burned up 450+ rounds in a day :o I got my new barrel last november and I have been keeping a box count of bullets and i'm between 2300-2600 rounds down the tube right now.... We will sit down in a pasture and plink rocks at 300-600yards for practice when things are slow or in the heat of the day. I need a new tube and maybe keep a better shot count on that bad boy :oops:
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

holy crap......how often are you scrubbing the copper out on days like that.
Coyotes Forever
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Coyotehunter wrote:holy crap......how often are you scrubbing the copper out on days like that.
I have been running molly on everything :? so I have not been cleaning it at all!! The 50's in AI and 55'S in fire form is what I shoot for plinking. I'm leaning towrds getting back to "naked" bullets on the new barrel. The pressure is reduced with the molly but also is my speeds and i"m just not finding the bennies in mollied bullets............. :? sure is fun to shoot all day without cleaning it though :)
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

good luck with that but you should be cleaning with or with out moly bullets..........
Coyotes Forever
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

See thats just it, the guy that turned me onto moly says, the main reason is NO CLEANING REQUIRED :? :? I'm going back to naked bullets with my new barrel and cleaning on a regular basis, not that big of a deal......
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

I agree with coyotehunter on that cleaning bit and I will go so far as to volunteer BNB and myself to give EVERY rifle at the NDCC a high quality cleaning and tune up. I/we(ya with me bucks?) believe that Coyotehunter should make this "cleaning/inspection and tune up" mandatory for the safety of all competitors. Now as I understand it, bucks has more experience at this than I, but I am a quick study and I am sure BNB has much to teach me, but I/we think it only fair that everyone start the tournament off with equally "clean" and 'well-prepped" rifles.

BTW, bucks and I will have already cleaned ourr respective rifles to they will not need to be "touched." :D

Jaybic
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

LOL, Jaybic you can clean my gun 1st. I trust you :lol:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"