22-243win

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

22-243win

Post by leadbiscuit »

I got around to shooting my 22-243 this past weekend. Here are the results.

The gun: trued rem 700 sa, 24 inch krieger barrel with 1 in 7.7 inch twist in rem factory sporter contour, stock is a reworked sps youth, scope is 3-9 nikon buckmasters. The gun with scope weighs 7lb 10oz.

Before I get into this I have to say that these loads were safe in my gun. I have no way of knowing if they're safe in anyone elses. If you choose to use this data, you do so at your own risk.

The dies I'm using are 243 win bushing dies fitted with a 22 cal bushing. Turning case necks is mandatory for my chamber. Case brand is Win. Primers are standard CCI. Powder is H1000, one of Hodgdon's Extreme powders. Bullets are 75 grain amaxes. Groups were 5 shots at 100 yds.

47.0 grains H 1000 for an average velocity of 3278fps and a .872 in. group

47.5 grains of H1000 for an average velocity of 3328fps and a .540 in. group

48.0 grains of H1000 for an average velocity of 3385fps and a 1.1 in. group

I decided to stop there. I then loaded 20 rounds of the 47.5 grain load and shot four five shot groups that averaged .560 in. It's time to move out to 200yds and see if groups hold together.

Have a good one,
leadbiscuit
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: 22-243win

Post by lyonch »

Sounds like it is coming around. Keep us posted on the results.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Boy are those bullets slow! I've already got a second bullet on its way to the next coyote in line while youre waiting to connect on the first.. :shock: :mrgreen:
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

I know when I'm beat. I think I'll keep quiet!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I was just funning ya.. Its looks like the 22-243 is comeing along good...
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Keep us posted Leadbisquit don't worry about speed worry about how far you can consistently shoot it I don't care if it's going 500 ft/sec as long as you can shoot it well and know it well. gotta remember Carlos Hathcock did most of his work with a 30/06 :wink:
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

I'll let you guys know how it goes. I'm gonna be shut down for a little while though. Slug opener is this weekend. The DNR doesn't allow us to be out with rifles during slug season. That 3-9 scope on that rifle doesn't work worth a damn for shooting targets, but its a good hunting scope, and that's what counts.
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

velocity isn't always the best thing when it comes to surface splashes. Small bullets going really fast can cause splashes and run offs. I'd rather shoot a slow bullet and have no splash and enough energy to penetrate the skin and blow up inside.

everyone says that a 308 is a fat slow bullet that sucks on coyotes. I'll let you keep believing that. I can cut a lot of wind and have a better BC. Allowing me to pinch fur a lot further away than a little 17.

You're doing fine leadbicuit, keep it up. Don't go with velocity unless it's accurate.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

that load should reach out and toutch em :wink:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

It should make me look better than I am. My best shot on a coyote with the old chambering was something like 505 yds (measured with my Leica). I've got another 125fps to play with now. Not a big deal but it can't hurt.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

505 is a poke! Keep up the good work
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Thanks,I'll try. My main problem is getting the buggers out in the open. I envy you boys that have more productive areas for callin. I'm sure most of you work your asses off, but at least it pays.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have shot a lot of the H1000 over the years. Have you tried R-22? very good low pressure replacement to the H1000. I got better accuracy, more velocity and less pressure with the R22 in my .22-6mm withthe same charge. not the same chambering as you but real similar in some ways. Just wondering if you had some around it would be interesting to see what if any differences you see.
Coyotes Forever
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

No, I have not tried any rl22. When my h1000 runs out I might give 22 a try. I've pushed the 75 grain amax to 3500fps with h1000 in my other 22-243. Accuracy started dropping off above 3350 fps. A few months back another fellow suggested the same as you. He's a SD state trapper and one of the most experienced shooters I've ever met. He is also using a 22-6mm on coyotes. I think he was shooting 80 grain Bergers in his. I am listening to you guys. I'll try it when I get a chance. Thanks for the input.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

xdeano wrote:velocity isn't always the best thing when it comes to surface splashes. Small bullets going really fast can cause splashes and run offs. I'd rather shoot a slow bullet and have no splash and enough energy to penetrate the skin and blow up inside.

everyone says that a 308 is a fat slow bullet that sucks on coyotes. I'll let you keep believing that. I can cut a lot of wind and have a better BC. Allowing me to pinch fur a lot further away than a little 17.

You're doing fine leadbicuit, keep it up. Don't go with velocity unless it's accurate.

xdeano
+1 Speed schmeed.

Ill take my "slow" .22-250 that will print 1/2" groups at 300 yards all day long, or my "slow" .308 that will do just a mite better than that over just about anything out there.

Speed means flatter trajectory, which means less "gap" from one distance to another and is a crutch used by those that either cant shoot well, or dont want to take the time to become a good shooter.

My "slow" .308 drops just under 5 MOA at 400 yards. It does this on Sunday, it does this on Tuesday, it does this in November, it does this in January.

Drop is relatively consistent (sure, temp/elevation/humidity etc etc etc can have an impact.....but most of us aren't jet setter shooters encountering opposite extremes in a season.....for my season, I count on being under 5,000 feet, and it being COLD). Learn to dope for drop, and "fast and flat" becomes less of a requirement.