Shot gun coyote

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Red Fox
coyotehunter

Shot gun coyote

Post by Red Fox »

Wondering how many are loading their own shot shells this year. I am shooting NP F Buck in the 10 gauge. I would safely say I can shoot out to 85 yards.
Red Fox
coyotehunter

Re: Shot gun coyote

Post by Red Fox »

Here is a pattern of one of the loads I shoot.
Attachments
IMG_8686 (Medium).JPG
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

great pattern :D holy crap, 2.5 oz of shot?? how does the shoulder feel??
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Red Fox
coyotehunter

Post by Red Fox »

Never really bothers me. The gun weighs almost 10 pounds and the shot is going 1200fps. The new fast steel in the 935 hurts more than this.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Red Fox wrote:Wondering how many are loading their own shot shells this year. I am shooting NP F Buck in the 10 gauge. I would safely say I can shoot out to 85 yards.
Whats kind of energy are you retaining at 85 yards though?

Thats a long ass ways for a scattergun. You got a good pattern at 40 though!

If im shooting my #4 buck stuff, im putting 21 pellets in an 18" circle at 50. I played around with it further, and im pretty sure my pattern is good for further work, but I seriously question the penetration abilities much past 50. All the pellets from the load hitting are no good if they aint gettin in to the good stuff.
Red Fox
coyotehunter

Post by Red Fox »

At 85 yards it says.
Name of Load Material Load Size Pellet Size # of Pellets Muzzle Velocity Muzzle Energy Yardage Velocity Energy
Coyote Lead#F 2 1/2oz 0.295 70 1200fps 0.295 85 683 16.21

Energy Density Gel Penetration
426.5 4.00
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

16.21 ft/lbs at 85? Thats aweful light. Especially considering the fact those light pellets will be shedding that energy quickly upon making contact with the target, losing momentum and penetration ability.

I like my coyotes to go down with "authority", and 85 yards is a long ass ways out there to be doing it with a shottie. Id have to see it to believe it. I know my combo can do it at 50, but just another ten yards makes a world of difference, might as well be tossing rock salt at em at 60 yards.

If it can do it well at that range, more power to ya, but I wouldnt hold my breath.
ducksmuggler
coyotehunter

Post by ducksmuggler »

that load could work...I would think that it would be an excellent under 50 load... but a maybe outside of that...

the Normal # I always shot for on my "duck hunting loads" is 600 fps.... that is the standard # used for shot to penetrate waterfowl(speed makes steel lethal)... at the kill spot

also take into consideration if that dog is moving cause then you pattern will be an oval shape(anything over say 20 mph your patterns gona be around 20" tall and 3 ft. long).. and not all of the pellets with be on the mark. That though is why a ten is more lethal than a 12 ga. 3.5
If its good enough; Better is achievable
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

ducksmuggler wrote: That though is why a ten is more lethal than a 12 ga. 3.5
Did you ever read the DU study on a 10 vs 12 ga?

They did a big experiment on the range of lethality of one vs the other (based on wingshooting though) and concluded the 10 really doesnt offer any significant edge in range and lethality over a 12.

Ill try to dig it up. It was pretty interesting.
Red Fox
coyotehunter

Post by Red Fox »

It has the same advantage as the 12 gauge over the 16 gauge. More room bigger pellets. More room for choke constriction. The DU boys are too busy shooting the Hevi- 13 in their classic doubles shooting over their English Setters talking about how good duck hunting used to be. If you have ever tried loading buckshot you will see that the 10 fits the pellets better. I did drop a coyote this fall with BBB steel at 54 yards. Not that I would use steel for coyote but the energy from this load is about half of what the lead F shot load is.
ducksmuggler
coyotehunter

Post by ducksmuggler »

RED you hit the nail on the head.....their is no ballistic advantage to shooting a 10 or a 12... but the 10 is more lethal cause it throws more shot; and has more room for constriction. Both guns will drop yotes at 40 and 50 yards but the 10 is better IMO cause why hit the yote with 7 pellets out a 12 when you can hit him with 15 out of a 10.... 20 ga. or 10 ga.... 20 yards is 20 yards... and 50 yards is 50 yard.
If its good enough; Better is achievable