Whats the difference?

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Whats the difference?

Post by lyonch »

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought your extreme powders were extruded which caused them to be in a pellet form, rather than a spherical shape like H380. Is there any extreme powders out there, that aren't extruded? The extreme powder claim to have minimal variations from one lot to the next, and different temperature ranges.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

creative marketing is always a great way to sell a product. lots of powders have nominal differences from winter to summer. each powder has its own nitch....its brand trys to produce powders that meet those requirments. I do not believe the shape of the propellant has anything to do with summer/winter performance. the shape and coating retard the burn rate or Relative Quickness of a specific powder with 4350 being the standard that all others are measured by, either faster or slower burn as compared to a RQ of 100 as in H-4350 and IMR-4350.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I just use the powders that work well for what cartridge I'm loading and shooting at the time. I've never looked at any of my powders to see if they were extreme powders or not, but I don't shoot much in the summer so i don't worry much about it.. As mentioned each company has its way of makeing powder, IMR for example uses the long and short grain powders, Hodgden has both long gr, and short, along with some ball powders.. Ball powders or simular are nice to use for loads that almost fill the case or cases with small dia. necks like a 17 cal., the stuff runs like water through the funnel... I've been useing Ramshot big game powder in my 17 Pred. its a ball powder and nice to work with....
I also use alot of vitavory (?? spelling) which is a short grain powder, very uniform and works well in a number of rifle cartridges plus they have the high vel. powder with less pressure. N-540, N-550, N-560 ect are high vel. with less pressure...
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Coyotehunter;

Back when I was playing with the 243AI quite a bit, I had a hell of a time finding load data for 70 and 80 grain bullets with h4350. When the Nosler no 5 manual came out I bought a copy. Every time the two 4350's are listed with the same bullets in the same round, the imr version reaches maximum pressure with less powder. I spent quite a bit of time looking into this. Not looking to start a pissing match. The Nosler is a modern manual. Pressure testing methods have changed over the years. Could this account for the difference?
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Several items could effect the pressure and not knowing what process they used to test the loads I am not sure how to address your question. Even the same powder from different "lots" could have enough differences to change your charge. Even little things like the temperature, humidity, elevation..........several variables. powders such as the ball powder H380 can have so much differences from lot to lot that it is difficult to assign a RQ rating to that particular propellant. No worries, no pissing match here, The RQ rating is a industry standard that you can rely on to help make a choice when moving from one brand of powder to another. regardless of shape, single or double base propellants. Its a place to start. The original question was what is the difference between IMR-4350 and H-4350, Hodgden originally bought surplus 4350 from the military. IMR Improved Military Rifle, IMR4350 is or was H4350 way back when, after WW2.
Coyotes Forever