Whats the difference?

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

coyotebuster
coyotehunter

Whats the difference?

Post by coyotebuster »

I recently got into reloading. I am currently loading for a .243 with 44 grains of IMR 4350 with sierra 85gr BTHPs and getting pretty good groups with it. I was wondering what the difference is between IMR 4350 and H 4350?

Thanks.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: Whats the difference?

Post by bucksnbears »

not exactaly sure but i think i've read somewhere that one is a faster burning powder than the other
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

I dont know either but I know they are not interchangeable. Consult a reloading manual just to be safe. Its the same way with H4198 and IMR 4198 as I understand it. In the manual, you will see both powders listed separately.

Jaybic
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

IMR 4350 is faster burning than H4350. Also H4350 is temperature insensitive. IMR4350 is not. Interchange data and you might have a very bad day.

have a good one
leadbiscuit
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

LeadB. do you know what powder #'s mean??? win, 748-760 the 4350's, ect.??
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

With the alliant reloder series powders, the higher the number the slower the powder burns. None of the other companies use a system that makes any sense to me. I wish I had a better answer for you bucks. Maybe someone else here can help us out.

have a good one
leadbiscuit
coyotebuster
coyotehunter

Post by coyotebuster »

So if I zeroed my gun when it was lets say 10 degrees how much of a difference should I expect if its -20 or 50? I wouldn't think it would be too bad but i'm just getting into reloading so my knowledge of powders isn't that great.
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

The only way to know for sure would be to shoot it at different temps and make a mental note of it. If you only expect to be shooting out to a couple hundred yards, I wouldn't worry about it. Past that, you may want to check it out. I haven't spent much time with the IMR's. They can't be too bad. They've been very popular for a long, long time.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

coyotebuster wrote:So if I zeroed my gun when it was lets say 10 degrees how much of a difference should I expect if its -20 or 50? I wouldn't think it would be too bad but i'm just getting into reloading so my knowledge of powders isn't that great.

Stick with one of the newer extreme powder and you shouldn't have to worry about temperature. An extreme powder will come in a pellet form, and your standard powders come in a small sphere shape. I am currently shooting varget, and i notice about a 10fps difference only from shooting in the summer months, to shooting in the winter time.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

The relative quickness is 100 for both brands, which is the standard used to determine the relative quickness of all other powders. It follows that for all practical purposes IMR-4350 and the H-4350 are nearly identical and the load data for either is interchangealble. And anything that applies to IMR-4350 also applies to H-4350. The Hodgdon version of 4350 can be used in place of the IMR-4350 in all cartridges with the same general results, but, again, if you use either powder in exchange for the other, back off a couple of grains from the full-power charges and test for pressure before loading the original charge. That would also be true with all powders shot from different lots.

information gathered from Metalic Cartridge Reloading by E. Matunas and Propellant Profiles 3rd edition by B. Hagel
Coyotes Forever
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

jaybic wrote:I dont know either but I know they are not interchangeable. Consult a reloading manual just to be safe. Its the same way with H4198 and IMR 4198 as I understand it. In the manual, you will see both powders listed separately.

Jaybic

Again for these 2 powders the RQ rating for both is 160 "As for the vital statistics of 4198, no matter whose can it comes from, they are so nearly indentical that no reloader can distinguish between them" Propellant Profiles 3rd edition by B. Hagel
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Not sure I follow.. Is'nt pellet form and sphere one of the same????
I always refer to it as long grain, short grain and ball powder or flakes... :?: :?:
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

not sure I understand the question Tim.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Sorry about that I guess I should of pasted the quote. Anyway here it is.

[quot. An extreme powder will come in a pellet form, and your standard powders come in a small sphere shape.e][/quote]

Same question I had before.. :?: :?: :?:
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

the shape has to do with the burn rate..........I do not believe the shape effects how it handles temperature. The two are unrelated.
Coyotes Forever