Fire Forming Nickle cases

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

22-250AI
coyotehunter

Re: Fire Forming Nickle cases

Post by 22-250AI »

How are you ever going to kill anything with nickle cases when this music starts playing every time you open the box of nickle ammo ????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ_BA3IiNjs&sns=em

bet them boys really like nickle cases too..
Krylon is my camo
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I dont have a 1,000 of them, so i will just give them to you. They are in my way, so it would be nice just to get rid of the damn things. i will bring them with to dickinson. i might have 50 or so i will have to look.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

22-250AI wrote:How are you ever going to kill anything with nickle cases when this music starts playing every time you open the box of nickle ammo ????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ_BA3IiNjs&sns=em

bet them boys really like nickle cases too..

WTF!!!!!!!!!! You are not right man.......
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

It seems you have youre mind made up to use them, so use'em dose'nt matter here.. Let us know how they work out..

Even though a shooter is shooting new brass in his rifle he is still fireforming it to his chamber, how much the case exspands depends on how the chamber was cut...
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

I understand that they expand in ALL chambers, depending on how they are cut. But a vanilla load will not expand near as much as an AI or any other type of wildcat round. All im saying is that no one seems to give me solid hard facts. i.e. "I have tried it a it doesn't work because of xxxxxxxxxx"

I guess im just a idiot, because i just don't get it :?
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

All cases will exspand to the point that the brass hits the chamber walls all the way around no matter if its a factory load or a Ackley improved, 50,000 p.s.i. is 50,000 p.s.i. The only time you won't see this happen is with a squib load (reduced load) or some of the starting loads the case neck may not seal. You will have soot around the neck area and sometimes dents in the shoulder...

Nickel brass is just as strong as standard brass and can also be just as accurate, like mentioed before the main problem is the flakeing around the neck which gets into youre chamber and dies and can scratch the inside of both....
Another thing you may have to look at it case stretching, you may get more of it due to the non-stick nickel finish which will allow the case material to flow forward more easaly... Nickel cases where designed at first for hand guns, the nickel kept the case from sticking in the chamber after fireing... Like I said before give them a try, they may work for you needs....
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Optimax90 wrote:I know all about fire forming and understand the concept. But you are not fire forming a 17 remington they are out of the box factory specs, yes.......?

My wife shoots a .243(vanilla) and I reload nickel cases for her, so she knows that those are her rounds and don't get confused with anything else. Plus she thinks they are cool looking too and they shoot well!! I got 4 or 5 rounds of loads put though them with full length sizeing after each round has been fired. I have had zero problems with them.....

My question is a fire forming issue, will the fire forming cause issues or not... The answer I keep getting is about half and half, some guys use them and love them.. And other guys say that you CAN have issues, but no one has said this is what I have experienced, and its dosen't work worth a shit......
it is nickel "plating" and it is not going to hurt anything. if you want you can out side neck turn them for conformity and remove the plating in that area. but I have not had any issue what so ever with the few that I do use. Your dies and chamber are not going to be effected at all.
Coyotes Forever
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Thanks CH :D An answer from someone who has done it and knows, thats what I wanted.......