Fire Forming Nickle cases

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Optimax90
coyotehunter

Fire Forming Nickle cases

Post by Optimax90 »

Does any body have any experience with forming nickle cases... Building a .280AI and was just woundering about the nickle cases I got now?? Plus I would like to start putting my .22-250AI loads with different bullets in nickle cases.....
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Re: Fire Forming Nickle cases

Post by leadbiscuit »

I have a few old issues of Varmint hunter mag. where Steve Timm mentions fireforming Winchester Supreme factory ammo in his 223 Ackley. He doesn't note how the cases turn out but stated that accuracy was good. I wish I could be of more help. This is something I wouldn't mind knowing myself. I'm a sucker for the Ackley rounds.
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

I posted this question on another site, and got a TON of responses. Half said no issues and go for it the same as any other brass. The other half said that they will flake peel or crack...... Don't know what to expect, guess I will just let it buck and report what happens :D
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Giv'er hell. Let us know what happens.
22-250AI
coyotehunter

Post by 22-250AI »

Nickle cases are for Metro Sexuals !!!
Krylon is my camo
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

The nickel case will flake around the neck and shoulder area of the cases. This material is a little harder than brass and will scratch the inside of you're dies and possably the chamber. I bought some awhile back in 17 rem. as at the time I was useing two 17 rem and thought it wouldbe a easey way to keep the brass seperate from each other. I stopped useing them for the reason mentioned above but if you want go ahead and use them....
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

22-250AI wrote:Nickle cases are for Metro Sexuals !!!
:lol: :lol: . he's YOUR partner :D
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

bucksnbears wrote:
22-250AI wrote:Nickle cases are for Metro Sexuals !!!
:lol: :lol: . he's YOUR partner :D
Thats like a double burn bucs!! Damn two in on shot, you are the man :D

So Tim; Did you have your cases flake on you?? All of them, some of them, and you didn't see them flake before you resized them??? Im not up to speed on a 17 remington, so how much does the case expand when fire forming????
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

bucs you beat me to it :lol:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

you need to get up earlier :mrgreen:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

[quote][So Tim; Did you have your cases flake on you?? All of them, some of them, and you didn't see them flake before you resized them??? Im not up to speed on a 17 remington, so how much does the case expand when fire forming????/quote]

I found a box with some 17 rem. nickel case's in it with about half of them fired. The flakeing is in the neck area and stops where the neck meets the shoulder. These case's where fired in a factory chamber and they tend to be a little more sloppy compared to a custom chamber.. Another thing to keep in mind if you have a tite neck and the cases need to be neck turned you will have to remove some of this material and like mentioned before its harder than brass so its going to wear out youre cutter on the neck turning tool..

I also found a box of 243 brass used, some had the nickel missing and some did'nt. The ones that had it missing it was on one side of the neck and not all the way around like it was with my 17 rem..

When fire-forming the neck exspands till hit hits the chamber wall and then will spring back some. As for how much, it canbe anywhere from .3-.7 depending on the neck dia. of the chamber and thickness of the brass...
22-250AI
coyotehunter

Post by 22-250AI »

Dave and Chris,

Well played gentleman.....
Krylon is my camo
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

I know all about fire forming and understand the concept. But you are not fire forming a 17 remington they are out of the box factory specs, yes.......?

My wife shoots a .243(vanilla) and I reload nickel cases for her, so she knows that those are her rounds and don't get confused with anything else. Plus she thinks they are cool looking too and they shoot well!! I got 4 or 5 rounds of loads put though them with full length sizeing after each round has been fired. I have had zero problems with them.....

My question is a fire forming issue, will the fire forming cause issues or not... The answer I keep getting is about half and half, some guys use them and love them.. And other guys say that you CAN have issues, but no one has said this is what I have experienced, and its dosen't work worth a shit......
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Opti if you want some more nickel plated brass, i have few laying around i can bring to a hunt for you. I bought all lapua brass for my .22-250 and have all my factory ammo brass just laying around.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

I will pay for them no problem... Should be in dickinson....