Two powders one powder thrower?

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

1Shooter
coyotehunter

Two powders one powder thrower?

Post by 1Shooter »

When I throw charges for my .22-250 I use H380, a round-ball type powder. I will be reloading for my .30-06 as soon as I figure out which powder I want to try. The two I've been thinking most about are IMR 4064 and IMR 4350. Both of these are extruded powders. Is it O.K. to use the same powder thrower for two difference types of powder (obviously NOT at the same time)? I've heard that extruded powders can get crunched in the powder thrower because of the powder's shape. This would likely leave some residue and dust of that powder behind, right? Would I have to clean out the thrower if I switched from loading with an extruded powder to loading with a ball powder?
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Two powders one powder thrower?

Post by lyonch »

I personally would not worry about it. I dont think you will see a obvious difference.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Unless you are anal about cleaning and need something to do dont sweat it....

I had a load for my . 30-06 using IMR 4064, I think it was with 150GMX bullets running over 3100fps, LOTS OF PRESSURE with the grains I was running..... I also used it in my .30-06 with 180gr. barnes, both loads worked good. I used the IMR 4064 beause it was in 3 different loads/guns I got. I Fire form my .22-250 with 4064 and they shoot really good. The only thing that a smith told me about 4064 is that it is a liitle more corrosive than other powders and I will wear my throat out faster with it.......
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

I drop Varget, H380, and H4350 from my RCBS uni-flow. Yes, the extruded stuff sucks to throw and is less accurate, which is why I purposefuly set the measure up to throw the charge about .2 grains light, than trickle the remainder.

If your used to dropping H380, youll cuss extruded stuff the first few times.