7mm 50 grain ??

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

wNyOte29
coyotehunter

7mm 50 grain ??

Post by wNyOte29 »

Has anyone herd of a 7mm round in a 50 or 45 grain bullet ?? my buddy has a 30-06 and has 50 grain bullets just wondering if they make 50 grain for a 7mm ??? I cant seem to find any
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: 7mm 50 grain ??

Post by lyonch »

I do not think you will find a 50 grain bullet in a 7mm casing. The 30-06 rounds that have a 50 grain bullet in them, have a small plastic insert in the casing to make up the difference from the small grain bullet to fit into the 30-06 casing. I think i have some laying around home, and i can take some pics to show everyone what i am talking about.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
wNyOte29
coyotehunter

Post by wNyOte29 »

Yea I seen the 30-06 ones my buddys has them for his thats what got me thinkin if maybe they made them for a 7mm but ive looked almost everywhere no luck so
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

They're called "sabots" those little plastic incased rounds leave large deposits of plastic in the lands and groves of your rifling and it's hard to get out. After only a few rounds the deposits of plastic start to build up leaving you with a very irregular shot pattern. In fact the groups open up so violently it's funny, kind of like a shotgun.

I'm sure you could probably buy the little plastic sabots and purchase some 50g bullets to use, but finding the right powder and charge would be the hard thing.

good luck.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

xdeano is right, they are or used to be called 30-06 "accelerators" and it is a sabot. I used to try (try being the key word here) to shoot them in my 30-06 and at 100 yards it often looked like some one shot the target with # 4 buck from about 20 yards. Unless you hate hitting anything, I'd forget them but thats just my experience.

Good luck and good hunting. :D

Jaybic
223sav
coyotehunter

Post by 223sav »

Agree with jaybic and xdeano, my brother had some "accelerators", and they were the most innaccurate bullet I have seen, could never get a pattern from them, and you were lucky to get five holes in the target, personally, I wouldn't spend the time looking for a bullet that small for that caliber IMO
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

ditto
Coyotes Forever