Shotgun Patterning Setup

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Fallguy
coyotehunter

Shotgun Patterning Setup

Post by Fallguy »

I am going to do some patterning this summer/spring with my shotgun for coyotes.

All I have ever used my shotgun for in the past is geese and pheasant. I have NEVER patterend my shotgun before. I shoot a 3" Browning 12 Gauge. My biggest question is, what kind of a target setup are you guys using?

Here is what I would like to know:

1. Distance to target
2. Size target (i.e. 10" circle, etc.)
3. Point of aim (where you hold the bead for different distances)
4. Percentage of pellets you look for in that circle to determine what you think is successful

I am new to the shotgunning game and I have no clue where to start for getting a pattern down. I have to drive about 30 miles to the place I sight my guns in at so I don't want to get out there and have my thumb up my you know what...I want to get out there and get something done! :D
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

What I like to do for both coyotes and turkeys is shoot each shell you want to patern at 20yrds,30yrds,40yrds... and so on. I would use a big enough target that will cover a coyotes vitals. I would compare each shot you shoot at the different yards and see what shot has the most in the target. When aiming your going to have to judge how to aim above the target. Each shot you shoot will start dropping differently.

I like to do a lot of comparing and see what shot shoot best for me. Its like a little science fair project we all had to do in elementry school.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Here is what I would like to know:

1. Distance to target? I have done all my patterning at 45, 55, 65, 75 yards
2. Size target (i.e. 10" circle, etc.) I have used 8" inches
3. Point of aim (where you hold the bead for different distances) shotting with a Bennelli SB2, Carlson Extended extra full choke, #2 Hevi-shot I have found that out to even 65 yards there was not enough drop to even do any more than point at your target and pull the trigger. I would like to hear what other guys are seeing. This has b een my experience. I have shot several different loads with different chokes and found this combo to be the most effective.
4. Percentage of pellets you look for in that circle to determine what you think is successful? It does not take many pellets with the lead or Hevi-shot to get the job done, if you are taking head shots. If you are shooting at a coyote as he is running away the effective knock down range is significantly diminished.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

I have never done this before, but since shooting a coyote with my shotgun is a goal of mine for this next season, I had to get on this. Like I said, I have never patterned a shotgun, so if you have suggestions as to what I should do next, let me know.

I went out this morning and tried 4 combinations of choke/loads. I did all the shooting at 40 yards. I put the bead right on the yellow circle and pulled the trigger.

I shoot a Browning BPS Pump 12 Gauge that can handle 3" shells. The Hevi Shot Dead Coyote shells were 3" T Shot. The 4 Buck shells were 2 3/4 inch Winchester Super X.

Full Choke with 4 Buck - 4 Pellets in a 12" circle

Full Choke with Dead Coyote T Shot - 4 Pellets in a 12" circle

Carlson's Dead Coyote Choke with 4 Buck - 12 Pellets in a 12" circle

Carlson's Dead Coyote Choke with Hevi Shot Dead Coyote T Shot - 34 Pellets in a 12" circle

From what I see I think I will work with that Carlson's Dead Coyote Choke Tube. For 30 dollars it seems like a good deal.

What would you do next? Try some others ranges and distances? Are there any other combos or variables I should try? Like I said I am new to this shotgunning game. Thanks!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

It looks to me that the Dead Coyote shot is the way to go. Little spendy But its probably worth it. I will probably be shoot Dead Coyote this year.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

I shoot dead coyote with there choke tube and with my benelli nova I was getting 23 max and 11 at the least pellets in a 10" circle at 70 yards.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Thats very impressive at 70 yards!!! I think its worth it the money if you can get that kind of range out it.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Great info! I would recommend trying the #2 Hevi shot. I have shot 00 buck, 0000 buck, BB (steel & Lead), and Dead coyote T & F. I have found with the bigger shot that it is best to use looser chokes. The SBII Bennilli has what they call a back boarded barrel which is a larger diameter than any other 12 gauge available. Larger than even the Nova, the Nova chokes will not fit into the SBII. So it will pattern the larger shot better (advertised) than other shotguns. I have been having problems with mine jamming recently. It may just need to be cleaned. I did have it lock up on a triple last fall and it was clean when this happened. Try the #2 Hevi and let me know what you think. I did contact Carlson to get there opinion on what chokes to use with my gun/shot combo. I did that from thier web site, they where quick toget back to me by email with an answer.