Olympic Arms .243 WSSM

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Olympic Arms .243 WSSM

Post by Coyotehunter »

Just got a new gun from Olympic Arms to shoot. They will be sponsoring a couple of the hunts this coming winter. I will get some pics put up here and more info on the gun as time allows. Should be an interesting build for me because I have not owned or shot a AR type gun before. It is a 8:1 twist so I plan on shooting the Berger 105 gr. bullets. I have already changed out the trigger and mounted rings. plan on going with a Leupold 4X12 scope. Need some help with the stock, sling and loads right now.
Coyotes Forever
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Re: Olympic Arms .243 WSSM

Post by leadbiscuit »

CH,

Pretty cool thing for them guys to do. Should be one bad mother when you get it up and runnin'. As far as stocks go, there's a mind boggling variety. The stock on my douglas barreled ar is the plain vanilla GI type so I can't help you much there. As far as powder goes, it's pretty tough to go wrong with the 4350's and 4831's in a 6mm. Max loads should be within a grain or two of the regular 243. Sounds like a neat project. My friends would probably haul me to the hospital if they saw me out hunting with an ar, Well, the hospital or the loony bin.

Have a good one,
lead
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I know, pretty convenced the bolt action rifles are the way to go.............but I really want to make a go at this. they declare it is a 600 yard coyote gun, so I am going to run it through and see what i can spit out. have you shot the .243 super short mag and/or loaded for it? I will send a email to Berger tonight and get some loads from them and start with that.
Coyotes Forever
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

CH,

I worked with the 223wssm a small amount but never the 243 version. Case capacity is just a tad more than the standard 243win. I used to be kinda snobby about using ar's for hunting. I was being critical of a type of rifle because of the way a very small number of people used it. It was a foolish way to act. My only legitimate criticism of the ar's is that they seem awful front heavy when a bull barrel is used. I don't shoot well offhand with muzzle heavy rifles.

lead
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I am right there with you. same concerns. same opinion. but maybe time to move into a new century.
Coyotes Forever
devildogg
coyotehunter

Post by devildogg »

Im surprised more people dont use a 243wssm it is a very flat shooting cartrige with velocities about 100 to 150 fps over a straight 243. i have a buddy that shoots one and it seem to be very accurate with his load useing some 58gr v-max and they did the job on the coyotes i watched him shoot out to 300+ yds. But his was a bolt action i have had and ar for about 8 yrs now and it rarely ever leaves the truck anymore when i got it i thought it was going to be the best thing ever having a 20 round mag and no recoil and being able to see where the rounds hit and in the scope and being able to make adjustments and quick follow ups. but it is kind of heavy to carry around and clumsy to set in my shooting sticks and it sucks to throw across my back with the clip and pistol grip grabbing on my clothes when it comes time to get it off my back if im in a hurry. but it sure is fun to give em hell with a 20 or 30 round clip when you multiples comeing in. there are some good pros and some good cons to an ar i think the biggest pro is they look pretty cool and they are damn fun to shoot and can be extremely accurate. Good luck it should be a very good yoten gun/caliber.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

This is some of the load data I recieved from Berger
243 WSSM

(COAL - 2.360" Barrel Length - 24")

Bullet Powder Start Load Appr. Start Vel. Max Load Appr. Max Vel. Fill Ratio
105 Gr RE-22 42.5 2894 45.0 3072 101.5%

105 Gr H4831 SC 43.0 2844 46.5 3035 100.7%

105 Gr IMR 4350 38.0 2809 40.9 3006 92.4%
Coyotes Forever
Kelly Jackson
coyotehunter

Post by Kelly Jackson »

CH - I have messed with both 25WSSM and 243WSSM in AR's. They can be picky on what they like.
Don't rule out 75gr and 87gr Vmax over varget.

BC on the 87gr is .400

Berger VLD's like t be close to the lands and mag length could be an issue.

Regards
Kelly
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

yes this is true. just going to have to work with it or make it a single shot. with the 8 twist I am kind of set on the bigger bullets but not against any combo that will give me the yardage I am looking for. Any advice you guys have I am open to it.
Coyotes Forever
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Kelly is probably right about not being able to get the close to the lands. I sure wouldn't rule them(vld's) out without trying them first, though. I'm jumping the 95gr. Bergers a fair ways in a factory rem. 243 varmint barrel and they do quite well. Right around an inch at 200yds off a bipod with a rear bag. Plus there's always the 105 amaxes and 107 sierras. I'm guessing the wind blows eternally in your country. Those long bullets are nice to have if a guy can get them flyin' straight. I haven't had much luck getting the amaxes to shoot well over 2900. Ditto with the hunting version 105 bergers. The 243wssm should have plenty of steam to get the most out of these bullets.

lead
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

what twist barrel are you using. Mine is a 8:1 so I am thinkn it may be a little fast for most wt. bullets. I am generalizing but.....as a rule I would think that at some point go down in wt is going to be a issue. typically I try to shoot the heavist bullet available for each caliber I own. not so with my .250 ackley .....i should say the heavest available for the twist i have with each barrel. if I can not get it to shoot....I get a new barrel. with custom barrels this is seldom a problem but factory hammer forged it is hit and miss on good barrels. Even when you find one that shoots they typically foul up fast. Again just generalizing, I have a factory 7-08 BDL 700 that is just short of amazing with H4350 and sierra 160gr. BTHP
Coyotes Forever
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Shooting the 95's out of a 1in 9.25 factory tube. I've also used them in a 1in 8 kreiger with good results. The 105's were in the 1in 8 Kreiger. It;s just a hunch, but I think the 95's are a little easier to live with than the 105's. B.c. on the 95's is around .480 if I remember right. I don't doubt Kelly's word, but I would sure try the heavies first.

lead.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I had a buddy of mine who used to shoot for HS precision told me to try the 95's as well. got it to the range last night, got all the way out there and forgot the tripod for my chronograph.........holy crap. did get to fire some shot and got it on paper at 50 yards. hopefully get back there thursday afternoon, shot over the chrony and get it out to 200 yards.
Coyotes Forever
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

I've got about a ten mile drive to the range where I go when I can't shoot at home(cows in the way). Every once in a while I get there and figure out I grabbed the wrong box of ammo. I've invented brand new curse words.

lead
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

0911011859.jpg
at the range again last night
Coyotes Forever