.223 AI

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Optimax90
coyotehunter

.223 AI

Post by Optimax90 »

Im putting together a new stick, .223 AI in a light weight frame. Any body got any load data on one...?? got some ideas and started preping brass for my fire form loads, but still looking for a 50gr load that will pu up some fur.....
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Re: .223 AI

Post by leadbiscuit »

You're gonna love that round opti. I had mine setup for 75 and 80 grainers but it shot the 55grain ballistic tips like crazy too. Try Hodgdon Benchmark. It's a small grain extruded powder but it goes through a measure like ball. It's also one of the extreme powders. You should find max around two grains over the standard 223. One of the friendliest rounds I've ever worked with. I killed a shitpot of pdogs with mine.

lead
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Care to share the details of your build opti?
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

thanks for the info man....

Im going with a 23" douglas XX barrel 1-8twist, on a 700 frame. Just got my HS presion LW stock in olive web, wanted ADL but they were back ordered for 6-8 weeks... putting a jewel trigger in it. having the bolt squared and blue printed, alkso having the bolt jewel and a big shifter knob put on.... topping it off with a 3.5x10x40 Mark-4 with M-1s on it..... should be light weight and easy to swing.....
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Big shifter...I like that. I've been tempted by the 3.5 - 10 mark 4. It's a lot of scope without the bulk. My 223 ai loads were pretty straight forward. Benchmark with 55 grainers and lighter. Varget with everything heavier than that.

You're not going to see much of a weight difference between an ADL and a BDL anyway. I've weighed them both. I don't remember the exact difference, but it wasn't much at all.

lead
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

i wasnt concern about the weight difference much on the two, just a cheap ass and didnt want to buy bottom metal.... plus i never drop the floor plate for the most part anyway.... plus that new HS precision stock is 8oz. lighter than than standard model..... its two inches shorter on the barrel end....

I like that scope, but i think the 4.5x14x40 Mark-4 i got on my .22-250AI is more of a fit for me....

I bought it (3.5x10) to put on my .280 but decided to go with another 4.5x14x40 also on that.. I do have a 6.5x20x40 also and like the dial-in it has, but picking up close coyotes on the run is tuff with that.....

im really looking forward to this .223AI should be a nice swinging rig....

might have to pick your brain on a load later...
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Opti,

I've got an extra Bdl bottom metal assembly. I just put a Surgeon/AI mag setup in my main rig. I 'll give ya a screamin deal on it. Shoot me a pm if you want.

lead
devildogg
coyotehunter

Post by devildogg »

What kind of velocities could you expect from those 55 grainers I've got a 222 I'd like to do something with.
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

My most accurate loads were loaded with benchmark and clocked 3350 from a 25inch barrel. My barrel had a 1 in 7 twist which raises pressure quite a bit. A 1 in 12 or 14 would go a bit faster or equal that with lower pressure. My loads were safe but plenty stiff.
kflan22
coyotehunter

Post by kflan22 »

leadbiscuit wrote:My most accurate loads were loaded with benchmark and clocked 3350 from a 25inch barrel. My barrel had a 1 in 7 twist which raises pressure quite a bit. A 1 in 12 or 14 would go a bit faster or equal that with lower pressure. My loads were safe but plenty stiff.
What kind of barrel life can I plan on getting out of a fast twist 223 AI? Will they go 3,000 accurate rounds pushing the heavy bullets?

I'd like to put together something that will do double duty as a varminter and occasionally make it to the range for 600 yard practice. This is one cartridge that I'm considering. Fire form with 52's while hunting and work up a load with AMAX or VLD for the little bit of target shooting that I'll be doing.

The other cartridges I'm considering are 6br, 6xc, or just another 6.5 Lapua even though thats probably overkill for what I am wanting.
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Kflan,

3000 rounds shouldn't be a problem.

I pushed 75 grain Amaxes 3000fps with mine. Hornady's listed bc has always seemed pretty close to me.

I can assure you that a 75 grain Amax at 3000fps is no joke. Assuming a properly built rifle, it would work quite well for you.