Trigger Pull???

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Trigger Pull???

Post by lyonch »

I figured since this is a technical gun question i would ask it here. I was debating on adjusting the trigger pull on my 22-250 to see if i can tighten up the groups a little more. I have heard from some people that it makes a big difference in accuracy and others that its just the shooter. :? So what do you guys think? I do understand the whole deal with don't make it too light. To me as of now it feels almost like a shotgun trigger.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

trigger pull does effect accuracy. Or should I say PERIOD! At what point, that is debateable. 2 1/2 lbs for a hunting rifle is considered by most as the best of both worlds for safety and accuracy. Every gun I buy off of the shelf gets bedded, floated and trigger tuned prior to working up a load or even shooting the gun. These are fairly inexpensive to have a gunsmith perform and easy enough to do with a few hand tools that any one with some patience can do on there own. I use a Lyman Trigger pull gauge (also works great for setting pan tension on traps), I would use a gauge instead of just going by feel. I had one gunsmith set up a 2 1/2 lb trigger, only to check on my gauge and find one at 1 3/4 and the other at 3 1/4 lbs. Some triggers are easier to adjust than others. Do some research prior to jumping in with both feet. I think you shuld have no problem getting all three of these items done by a reputable gunsmith for around $125. If you can not find one in your area for around that price PM me and I will get you hooked up with a couple of gun smiths I have used in the past.
Last edited by Coyotehunter on Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

thanks for the info jamie. i will have to check my rifle and see what its at. I have an uncle who does his own personal rifles and i think i could tlak him into it for a case of beer :D
Chris Lyon

Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

2 to 3 lbs of pull works well for me. :!:
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

since 2.5lbs seems like the standard pull used for hunting do most guns come standard at that or are they typically heavier. i would definetly like to stay in the safe range and not make it too light. thanks for your input daryl it sounds like a good starting point :D The gun i am shooting is a Remington Model 700 Varmint with a bull barrell and laminated stock. Trust me it is one heavy pig just ask LeviM. I was going to use this gun while i am young and can carry it around yet. I thnk that i could make it more accurate if i were to tune it.
Chris Lyon

Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

I shoot a Rugar M77 .220 swift that I have a Timney trigger in that is set to 2 1/4 lbs. Now this is by no means stock pull. Stock pull rages from about 4-6 lbs. Jamie may be able to correct me but if you set yours to 2 1/2 lbs trust me your first few shots will be a surprise. I also agree with Jamie that a good float and bedding job will deffinately help. :D
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

yep, factory triggers are usely set heavy 3 1/2 to 5 lbs I would say is typical. A good trigger is safe at any poundage with in its recommeded range. I have a friend in Arizona who had a gun discharge on its own on stand while the gun was just sitting there on the bi-pod. He had bought the gun used and the guy he purchased it from had adjusted the remington trigger below the recommended low set point. The sear engagement was was set to a point that the amount of travel prior to the gun firing was set to eleminate all creep. If you are going to adjust the trigger yourself you will have to understand how they work first. You have creep, overtravel and pull weight. All three of these settings adjusted correctly are what make a crisp clean break. Your trigger should feel like you are snapping a glass rod in half. Oh, and lots of dry fires with a new trigger. I shot my .204 at some praire dogs last Friday and had forgot how light that Shilen trigger was.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

well i adjusted my trigger pull last night and wow did that make a difference in the feel of clean pull. :D the trigger was set around 4.25 lbs of pull and set mine around 2.5. It was very easy to do and like jamie said it took alot of dry fires. Now i just need to float and bed the barrell. If I read it right in a gunssmithing website they try to sand the forearm of the stock on the inside to allow the barrell to expand when heated. they said that an optimal floating job allows a piece of paper to slide between the forearm and and the barrell all the way back to the chamber. after trying that test i was only able to slide a piece of paper about 4 inches in then it would stop. So the question i have is that what happens when you sand that wood down. Do you need to seal it again and clear coat it? I also read that other ways were to build up the trigger and chamber area so that it sits higher on the stock. I would like to do this part myself but i don't wanna screw it all up too. If this is somethihng that shouldn't be attempted let me know. Thanks
Chris Lyon

Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

For me I feel the cost of having a gunsmith float the barrel and bed the stock is way more affordable at around $120 than to make a mistake and ruin a good stock :? But with that said I don't know your capabilities and you may do a perfect job so my guess would be if your not confident let a gunsmith handle it. :wink:
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

He Would Screw it Up!! :wink:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Your hard on poor Lyonch :shock: you guys crack me up :lol:
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Daryl you should see Levi and I when we get together to do a tournament or hang out we tease each other so bad that i feel like a rented mule gettin rode all over North Dakota. :lol: I still hear it and he does too of every missed coyote that we should have shot from 3 years ago. Yeah i probably would screw it up but what the heck opininons are free :wink: Now that i adjusted the trigger pull i am going to the parents on friday to rap off some rounds at my little rifle range i have. I will let oyu guys know how she turned out :!:
Chris Lyon

Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

:lol: You guys :lol: Well good luck shooting and I think you will find that your groups will tighten up alittle. Floating your barrel will help even alittle more. Just keep doing alittle tuning on it as you have time or can afford and pretty soon you will have a fine tuned killing machine :wink:
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

The floating of the barrel is more for the stock than the barrel itself. wood expands and contracts with moisture and from hot to cold. The rule of thumb I have always used is a business card folded in half. It should run all the way up to the recoil lug. once you sand out the material I would not worry about refinishing it on the inside. A remington BDL stock can be bought at almost any gun show or call your local gunsmith. I usely see these sell in new condition for about $40-$45. Guys buy synthetic stocks and leave the stock that came with the gun with the gunsmith. they will typically have more than enough of them laying around. I have 2 myself just laying on the shelf at home.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

well i shot my rifle with the new trigger weight at around 2.5 lbs. It feels exactly like im breaking a glass rod when she goes. I only shot it at a 100 yards and i was grouping them easily within a nickel. The gn was shot from a bench and was sand bagged. Thanks for all your guys inputs and now i know my gun at the moment should be a sure thing at a 100yards until i have a coyote at that distance :wink:
Chris Lyon