6.5 bullets

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

kflan22
coyotehunter

6.5 bullets

Post by kflan22 »

What bullets are you 6.5 guys shooting at coyotes? I'd like one bullet that would work well for coyotes and deer but don't want to be cutting the coyotes in 2. I was thinking 120 ballistic tip but not sure how it would perform on something small like a coyote as they can expand pretty quick. Cartridge is a 6.5x47 Lapua with a 26" 1 in 8 twist Criterion barrel.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: 6.5 bullets

Post by Coyotehunter »

not really a fur friendly caliber
Coyotes Forever
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I'd say try some Lapua Scenars. I've had good luck with them in my 308 as far as fur damage. They should be fairly decent in the 6.5 also. Anything ballistic tip is going to open them up. The berger target vld bullets are decent, don't go with the hunting vld's, but the standard vld will punch a nice little hole.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Coyotehunter wrote:not really a fur friendly caliber
That depends on you definition of "fur friendly". :wink:

I shot a fair pile with my .260 and 123 grain Lapua Scenars last year, and while its not as "fur friendly" as say a .22-250 or .223, I was continually VERY surprised at the lack of damage on good hits. Even broadside hits to the riblets ended surprisingly well. A poor hit usually did more damage, but thats true of any caliber. I killed coyotes from 75 to 606 yards with it, and every time I walked up to a carcass I was always expecting a mess, and it never happened (and yes, I even had a couple less than ideal hits in there).

Ive always said that "match" bullets often work surprisingly well for fur.

Id take the .260 and scenars over the .243 and 87 grain v-maxes ANY day of the week in a contest of "fur friendliness". Im just not a fan of any of the v-max bullets in any size or caliber.