Gongs

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Gongs

Post by Tim Anderson »

Finished up on a 12" gong today and have a 6" gong to do yet then off to the range.

devildogg
coyotehunter

Re: Gongs

Post by devildogg »

Looks good T. A. Ive got some of those plates from the railroad that the rail road ties sit on and I have a bunch of those set up out in my pasture at different ranges and I also made a portable one to similar to yours. They sure r fun to shoot at and shooting at longer ranges sure helps a guy figure out wind drift and help u realize how much it can effect a bullet.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Thanks.. I got tired of having to drive the ATV down range each time I shot to see if I hit the paper, the gong should save a little time and lower the gas bill. LOL
I have a few of those RxR plates also that I use for water trapping. Will give you a heads up on them though, they are not legal to have or sell as scrap so don't get caught...
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have 4 portable gong that are 9"x 7"H and love them for long range shooting. that one looks great!
devildogg
coyotehunter

Post by devildogg »

Set a can of spray paint down by them or just let them get rusty u can really see your hits well
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I was going to use just black axle grease but I have to load them up and take home each time I'm done so I decided to paint them white with a 4" orange bulls eye and then just touch them up again with paint when done.
devildogg
coyotehunter

Post by devildogg »

The gongs r sweet when u here the report of the bullet hit. Try doing this with your tim I'm not sure if you have a 204 but I know u have a 17 pred. Shoot your gong with a 223 and some 50 gr vmax bullets and then shoot it with your 17 pred with what ever bullets your shooting. That 17 pred should leave some huge craters in the steel and that 223 with the vmax bullets will look like they were paint balls is all you will see is some lead on the steel. Even at 400 yds with my 204 and 35 Bergers there are some pretty impressive craters.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Got the other gong finished and have both painted up and ready to go. I used two different size PVC couplers for painting the centers and will make the job easier each time I have to touch them up...

DD. I did a test a few years back with a steel plate and my 17 Pred. with 30 gr. and my 22-250 Ackley shooting 52 gr. A-Max's. Your right the 17 cal. will penetrate or go deeper into the steel plate over the 22-250 imp. Who needs all that big cal. energy when a small cal. will bore right on through, especially a coyote...LOL

1Coyotemaster
coyotehunter

Post by 1Coyotemaster »

Great post! I shot milk jugs for quite a few years but tired of picking all the plastic mess up when finished and if it was windy you had to chase them down. T.A.s photos were deleted but I am assuming he made a frame of either conduit or pipe? I built 5 out of conduit from Menards for cheap--1 conduit per stand(tripods) and bought some scrap steel and used wire for hangers. 9X7 targets as stated earlier makes Wiley have a short life.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

here is another pic of what I made. I picked up another steel plate at work I'm going to use also, its about a inch thick or more and heavy as hell..

1Coyotemaster
coyotehunter

Post by 1Coyotemaster »

Tim Anderson wrote:here is another pic of what I made. I picked up another steel plate at work I'm going to use also, its about a inch thick or more and heavy as hell..

Nice work Tim, I won't post any pics of mine--they are pretty ugly by comparison. I used a tubing bender and W.A.G. system for the radius--# 12 galv wire for hangers. But they work. I think my target metal is only about 1/4 plate steel--but at 400 they hold up OK.