50gr hornady vmax

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

LeviM
coyotehunter

Re: 50gr hornady vmax

Post by LeviM »

Fallguy wrote:Jaybic

Well last week me and xdeano did some reloading. It was my first time reloading.

I did 175 rounds for my 223 with 50 Grain V Max...26 grains of H335 powder.

I also did 99 rounds for my 243 of 87 Grain BTHP...43 grains of Win 760.

I can't wait to get out and do some shooting now!

I plan on using my fur money next year towards some reloading equipment of my own!
I hope your guns like those loads, you loaded a pile!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Levi

I am not worried on the 223 ones. This was a recipe I got from a guy who tried to copy the Black Hills Ammo recipe...those are the bullets I currently shoot anyway.

The 243 makes me a little nervous but what the hell I guess. I am going to check that one soon as soon as I get back home. I am in Bis/Man for 10 days.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Fallguy,

How did that 50gr Vmax w/26gr of H335 shoot for you? Thats exactly the same load I shoot out of my DPMS and I have had great luck in both accuracy and with minimal pelt damage. They are the bomb in my rifle. Just curious if you got them to work for you. If you got Xdeano and Plainsmen helping you get started in reloading, your in good hands. I have stolen plenty advice from both of them and they have both proven that they know what they're talking about on this site and the "other one" that I frequent. No offense Coyotehunter. :D

Jaybic
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Levi you jerk you jinxed me! :wink:

I ended up pulling my 99 bullets I loaded for my 243. :oops: I got anxious and wanted to just get it done real quick. Not so I have learned with reloading. I ended up doing a ladder test where I started with about 35 grains of powder and worked up to about 40 grains in .3 grain increments. That resulted in 4 test loads. I tested those out and ended up deciding to go with the 87 grain Hornady BTHP with 39.2 grains of Win 760 powder. I shot about a .69 group one day at 100 yards and a 1.1 group the other day. This is with a factory Ruger trigger on my 243 and my shooting ability. :oops: It will be sufficient for hunting this year. I am going to load up a bunch of them one of these days. I also have plans to test some other bullet/powder combos (one thing at a time though!)

As far as the 223 goes...same story. The groups I shot when testing the loads I loaded up will kill coyotes but I think my gun can do better. I plan on doing another ladder test like I did with the 243. The loads I got from plainsman were loaded pretty hot for both guns. I ended up lowering the velocity on the 243 so I probably will find the same results on the other gun I hope. So I have a lot of bullet pulling in my future. But I have a puller that goes pretty fast.

Anyway, I now have all my own equipment so I can do it on my own now.

Jaybic no bashing the other site. Jamie won't care!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

lol

I have been load testing all summer with my .243, different powders, bullets, brass, primers, COAL, and I finally have a real decent group, I just need to speed it up alittle if i can. It takes alot, I mean alot of work, and patience.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Im no expert at reloading by any means and fairly new to it, but i would never take any load that is given to you as gospel. Each gun likes a completely different recipe. Any load that is given as an accurate load by one guy should only be taken into consideration and tested. bullet pulling does not sound like fun :shock: Spend a lot of hours researching on the internet and use it as a tool. You will see how much it can vary from gun to gun (same caliber/model/make)!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

lyonch

You are right with your post. I was trying to take the quick way but learned my lesson. Bullet pulling isn't too bad. I have the Hornady Cam Lock and collet puller. I can rattle through them pretty fast. i will just pull them as I reload them.

I have been reading up on loads. I just picked up the 7th edition of the Hornady reloading book. Pretty awesome book!
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

damn what do you guys do call each other to rub it in at the same time or what. There is a learning curve to reloading. No one is perfect. Fallguy is on the right track now, it takes a bit of persuation but he's got it now.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

xdeano wrote: it takes a bit of persuation but he's got it now.
What can I say? I'm a stubborn German. Got that from my grandpa. :lol:
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

xdeano wrote:damn what do you guys do call each other to rub it in at the same time or what. There is a learning curve to reloading. No one is perfect. Fallguy is on the right track now, it takes a bit of persuation but he's got it now.

xdeano
I dont think anyone is rubbing it in, just trying to help. This is my first year reloading as well, I just have done alot of it this summer, and noticed that every gun is different, Just because you got a load that works good for your .243 doesnt mean mine or fallguys is going to like. there are too many variables. just advice no critizism.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

yep, constructive criticism is good.

That still doesn't explain how you guys got on at the same time, like you're linked with an umbilical cord. :mrgreen:
only kidding.

deano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini