sniper81
coyotehunter

50gr hornady vmax

Post by sniper81 »

just wondering if anyone had any exp with this bullet in 223
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Work great, minimal pelt damage and I just buy the Ultramax brand since they are loaded with this bullet.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have not used the 50 gr Vmax but I have shot the 55 gr extensively and was very happy with its performance.
Coyotes Forever
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I wishi could give you some insight but i shoot a 22-250 and have never experimented with a .223 i know levi shoots factory loads in a .223 and is very pleased with them.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
sniper81
coyotehunter

Post by sniper81 »

i also shoot ultramx 50gr but around here they are 20bucks for a box so i am going to reload for cheaper
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I perfer to shoot factory loads out my .223. Its alot cheaper and I found a great round that shoots very consistant out my gun. :D
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

I shoot Black Hills 50 Grain V Max in my 223 and I get what I consider great grouping. I have only shot one coyote wtih the load this season. I was pleased with the pelt damage. One thing is certain they are cheap rounds and accurate. You can't put the fur on the stretcher if you don't hit them first!
tiller

Post by tiller »

I don't have experience shooting a .223 but I shoot 50 grain vmax out of a .22-250 @ 3600fps and pelt damage is minimal except when I hit large bones.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" Red Green
Tyrant

Re: 50gr hornady vmax

Post by Tyrant »

Kinda a thread hijack but,

With my 22-250 AI, 50's @ 4K, DO NOT SUCK !

Norm

Coyotehunter, I will drive 100 miles to see a jackrabbit with this combo, also have 36 GR Varmint grenades slowed down to 4600. They grouped in a paper plate @ 5K.... can you say throat erosion,,,,

RL-15 is the huckleberry.
duckhunter

Post by duckhunter »

I have never shot a coyote with a 50 gr. vmax, but a dog I ran up on that was chasing a pregnant doe one spring collapsed like the hammer of THOR hit him between the eyes. It was a TEXAS heart shot that did not hit the spine at about 80 yards.He never even quivered. 223 Rem. @ about 3200 fps. DUCKHUNTER.
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Hey guys,

I shoot a 50gr Vmax in both a 22-250 and my .223 and have had great luck in both rifles. Great accuracy and minimal hide damage from either. With the .223 you can shoot them and sometimes drag the coyote all the way back to the truck and still see no blood on the snow. Hard to even find a bullet hole until you skin sometimes. Insides will be a mess tho.

I shoot the 50s thru my ar using H335 @ 26.0 grns and a CCI small rifle benchrest primer and Win cases.

My 22-250 is with H4895 and a CCI lg rifle benchrest primer and either Nosler or Win cases @ 3650fps.

Jaybic
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Well since the last time I posted on this thread the 223 Black Hills 50 Grain V Max have gone up about 10 dollars a box (box of 50).

I have about 200 brass in 223 caliber. I am going to start reloading 50 Grain Hornady Vmaxes this summer after I get rid of my factory ammo.

I'll let you know how it works out.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Fallguy,

When you start reloading, I got all sorts or recipes for a 50 gr Vmax. I have tried probably half a dozen different powders and have maybe a full dozen different powder/primer/case combos. I am sure lots of other fellas have ideas too. Just a way for you to take advantage of others research and testing.

Might help.

Jaybic
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Jaybic

I will take that into account. Right now I am going to go with a recipe suggested to me by Plainsman (on nodak). He is very knowledgable. Xdeano is going to help me get started and lead me through the process with his equipment. So right now I have some good guys in my corner. :D
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Jaybic

Well last week me and xdeano did some reloading. It was my first time reloading.

I did 175 rounds for my 223 with 50 Grain V Max...26 grains of H335 powder.

I also did 99 rounds for my 243 of 87 Grain BTHP...43 grains of Win 760.

I can't wait to get out and do some shooting now!

I plan on using my fur money next year towards some reloading equipment of my own!