.243 factory loads

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

littlebigenuf
coyotehunter

.243 factory loads

Post by littlebigenuf »

This question is more about finding a better varmint load for my Winchester Model 70 .243 than it is about reloading. I have been shooting 100 grain Federal pointed soft points for deer and 80 grain pointed soft points for coyotes. Basically some of the cheapest shells I can find. But I have been looking for some faster loads around that 55 grain range. I can gain nearly 500 fps by going to a lighter load. But, I was talking with a guy who runs the sporting goods store here in town and he said he doesn't recommend me shooting the lighter loads because they have some sort of coating on them. I am not familiar with this. For example the V-Max bullets claim to be moly coated while the Winchester 55 Grain Ballistic Silvertip claim to be Lubalox coated. Does anyone know what this means or if I can shoot these rounds in my rifle without hurting it?
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

I load 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tips for my Dads .243 and let me tell you they rip. 3940fps through the chrony to be exact. I have also been impressed with the minimal pelt damage we have been seeing with pushing such a high velocity. As far as my experiance with moly coating I have used them and not seen alot of difference and some will tell you it plugs up your rifleing in your barrel but I don't beleive that to be true. when I was useing them my barrel actually seemed to stay alittle cleaner. I have a friend in Belfeild that applys a moly coat to all his loads and swears by it cause it reduces friction and he claims he gets longer life out of his barrels and he shoots a pile of shells. Hope this helps you alittle.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I could write all day on moly coating bullets and have used it in the past. It reduces friction and was originally used on industrial equipment. The application of the moly to the bullet is the important part, if you intend on useing it. Imagine a bunch of microscopic clam shells laying on one another or taking a deck of cards and sreading them out on a table. These platelets need to layed out properly and the application of the moly is how that is achieved. To get the desired results, It would be best to suspend these plaetelets in a solvent, apply it by dipping or spraying and then let it dry. It will prolong the life of a barrel, but to get the same velocity out of a bullet with moly you need to use more gun powder. With moly you reduce friction, with interior ballistic velocity is influenced by pressure and pressure comes from friction. Reduce the friction of the bullet on the inside of your barrel and you reduce the pressure of any given load and your velocity drops. To get the same velocity you need to use more powder to create more pressure. It does work but is a bitch to work with, costs more and depending on how much you shoot the gun the payback varies. If you have a rough barrel it may improve accuracy do to the fact it will fill in small imperfections of hammer forged barrels, again results vary. I do not use it any more, it is not recommended to jump from uncoated bullets to moly coated with out a very thourawl (sp) cleaning. I found cleaning a gun treated with moly to be a complete pain in the butt. I have been shooting 100 gr BTSP out of my .243 for years and have had great results. I reload my own but the Federal Premium 100 gr BTSP are as good a load as you can buy. Kills coyotes dead. They do great in the wind and very little pelt damage. Sounds like you need a new hobby like reloading to get what you are looking for.
Coyotes Forever
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Oh and by the way I know nothing about Lubalox!
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

LMAO-

Jamie were you quoting all that from an encyclopedia!! It seems you have a lot of knowledge when it comes to bullets!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

:shock: Guess I should have not even attempted to answer this question Jamie wrote a book on it now my comment looks dumb :?
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

I have found 243 Fusions in 95 grain to be a good combo round for deer and coyotes. Good price, accurate, and you don't have to keep resighting your 243 in. I have killed 6 deer and 5 coyotes with that bullet. Anywhere from quarter size exit to 3 inch slit exit.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

:lol:
Coyotes Forever
littlebigenuf
coyotehunter

Post by littlebigenuf »

Thanks to all the advice. I did some research on those coatings and have concluded that it works for some and not for others. So to prevent a headache, I'm not even going to try them. After looking at many ballistics tables of many different brands, I have decided to see how my rifle handles the Remington 75 grain AccuTip V-Boat Tail. The ballistics look fairly good. Thanks again to everyone.
manitoban

243 rough on fur

Post by manitoban »

what is with everyone making large hole with these 243.at times i wish my 22-250 didnt leave such damn big holes.i see where everyone is coming from on the whole one gun thing, but part of the fun is to go out and shoot,right.a diff caliber than you use for deer lets you get out there and soon it will fell like that trusty ol girl. ok there the whole issue that most guys dont want to go out and spend any money on a new piece but there are some excellent new "economy" rifles out there.so you say they are junk?well a few of those stevens or even a 700 sps can shoot well with the right gun behind the trigger.the cash a guy will save after 4 or 5 dogs with out huge holes will soon enough pay for that new toy.dont forget about all those old 222 that are out there.old mowhawk remingtons and 210 savages they aint woth more that 150-200 bucks and most will out shoot a new rifle even with a 1/2inch of dust on them.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

For factory loads in the 243 i would suggest the 60 gr. H.P., 58 gr. V-Max and the 55 gr... I have had mixed results with the 55 gr. a few splatters..
As for moly or other bullet lubes, use them if you want, but i do not use them and never will again use them.. look up Lilja rifle barrels, they have a good atricle on the use of Molley.. Good hunting..T.A.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

I use 55gr BTs often in my 243.'Tight'Shilen barrel,52.5 grains of H414=between 4050 and 4100fps with extreme accuracy.I like longer range shooting and that load does not blow big holes at distance absent direct bone hits.Great bullets!
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Re: .243 factory loads

Post by coyotelatrans »

I don't worry about mach speed for long ranges, what I look for is abullet with a high BC rating and what wind drift will do to it at 400,500, and 600 yards. Elevation is easier to correct than windage and a bullet with a higher BC will have less drift. So I don't need 3,700+ FPS out of a .243 and it also will reduce barrel life, I look for a 80-90 grain bullet for coyotes in a .243 I think they are a good choice for something in that 3040lb range, if I where shooting P-dogs and want exsplosive action then yeh a small fast pill that exsplodes on impact! Not for coyotes, if you hit bone with these high frangible bullets your going to have some runners get away, I like a hunting type jacket for coyotes that way allows one more room for error. Mainly wind.

With ever rising factory ammo cost I would look at getting into reloading you can save money in quicker time now than years past when you talk about 28.00-32.00 a box of 20 premium ammo cost and the fact you can reload something tuned for your gun at 18.00 per 20 that saves in a hurry and also gives you a very accurate load and your bullet choice and powder choices are unlimited compaired to factory offerings.