55gr.vmax vs. 55gr. vmax moly coated

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

redneck396

55gr.vmax vs. 55gr. vmax moly coated

Post by redneck396 »

Hello, I'm new here and love this sport. Well actually to me it's a passion. I really like learning new things to lure in Wile E. I do have a question though. I shoot a .220 Swift. I first tried the Hornady factory loads with a 55 gr. Vmax with moly coating. I shot a few dogs and nearly skinned 'em at the pull of the trigger! I have been told that "oh the moly must have something to do with it cause I shoot a Swift and never blow big holes in my pelts." :roll: Me being the sort of guy I am, I call b^&|sh!t! Can someone please advise. I have started loading my own rounds now with 52 gr BTHP Hornady bullets, but have not used them on any dogs. Although, they do only poke an entrance hole in a Jack Rabbit.
-coyote huntin' fool-
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

I also shoot a .220 and I have had great success with the V-Max. I have been shooting the 50gr with 44gr of IMR4831. I been getting 3730 at the muzzel with that load. I have a few others that work good to but this one has been a good load. Hope this helps.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
crtrgtr223
coyotehunter

Post by crtrgtr223 »

Gotta love the 220!!! I have had good luck with the 40 gr. v-max moly and 38.5
gr. of IMR 4064 or else 40 gr. of Varget. Most of the time on coyotes the bullet did
not exit. On fox it would depend on how the bullet hit bone, and on both range had
different effects. I have never had any noticable difference in pelt damage from moly bullets to the same bullet in a non-moly.
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

If you go under the .243 factory loads under this reloading section Coyotehunter has a novel written about moly coating.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Thanks Daryl :roll: The Moly coating will not effect the amount of pelt damage.
Coyotes Forever
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

:lol: Well you did but I never said that was bad you just know your $hit.
manitoban

V MAX

Post by manitoban »

at what ranges were you shooting the v max.i had terrible luck with them at under 150 yards.i load 36 gr IMR4320 with a 50gr v max and lthey eave a huge hole.all shots were on the shoulder and none broke bone.they all exploded on impact resulting in a second hole.i switched to a barnes XLC and a 50gr soft point after sewing up the fourth dog.[/b]
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

If you like to save the hides i suggest you give the Hornady 52 gr. A-Max's a try.. I have had great luck with them and a hunter that goes by Q on some of the other sites also uses this bullet in his 220 swift. For a 22-250 the 52 gr . Sierra is pretty good at lower vel.'s compared to a 22-250 ackley or Swift. I'm a hide hunter just like Q and we have tried everthing thats out there and you can't go wrong with the bullets i suggested... good luck.. T.A.
redneck396

Post by redneck396 »

most of the shot I get on dogs are less than 100yds. even when I have taken them at ranges out to 500 yds there has been 2 holes with the exit hole being of considerable size. I suck at sewing so finding a cure is what i need to do.
-coyote huntin' fool-
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have been useing the sierra 52 gr BTHP for the past 4 years and love it out of my .22-.250. minimal damage at a bullet velocity at around 3600 fps
Coyotes Forever
redneck396

52 gr. BTHP

Post by redneck396 »

I have been shooting a lot of jack rabbits out to 350 yds and to my surprise there was only an entrance hole the diameter of the bullet. No exit wounds at all. I'm smokin' em out there around 3700 fps. Maybe this will be the ticket! Accuracy is excellent with group size of .38 at 100 yds.
-coyote huntin' fool-
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I love shooting Jacks in the snow. I love the pink mist on the white snow.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Jamie

your sick :lol:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Coyotehunter wrote:I love shooting Jacks in the snow. I love the pink mist on the white snow.
LOL Evil :twisted:
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Tyrant

Re: 55gr.vmax vs. 55gr. vmax moly coated

Post by Tyrant »

The 55 V max is a flat base while the 50 V max is a BT. The modest BC loss is very easy to swallow for the ease of loading..... Not shure how they do on soft targets but I will soon...

50's @ 4K don't suck
Norm