.243 load

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

xdeano
coyotehunter

Re: .243 load

Post by xdeano »

I've been giving the 87g V-max a shot this season with very good results. They have one of the best BC @ .400 of the 243 bullets that will stabalize in my 1 in 10" twist. I'm using 34g Varget, at 2950fps over a chrono, CCI 200 primers and win brass. loaded to SAAMI lenght. They give me consistent .5" groups or smaller. @100yds. That's good enough for a coyote. They may not be the smallest or fastest bullet out there, but what i loose to gravity, I gain in wind drift. They hit hard and i haven't had a single run off. (now that i say that, knock on wood). It's a good bullet.
xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

X,

Spent the past few weeks sorting out what bullet to shoot thru my .240W (which has much to do with my interest in this thread) and yesterday arrived at going with the 87 V MAX. Shot 5 different loadings w/ 3 grouping very well. What impressed me is 16 of 20 bullets grouped in the same 1.5" of impact, which may say something for the bullet's uniformity. I do like the bullet and won't mess with seeking something better any time soon. Can't say I wasn't warned about the Weatherby ammo cost. see :shock: + :( .

Now I see there's a new 85 Hornady Interbond in .243--- Probably much better on fur and a real deer bullet.

Photo is a line up of 243 bullets I thought could add value to this thread (from 6mmbr):
243bullets.jpg
243bullets.jpg (19.72 KiB) Viewed 15146 times
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

I got out yesterday to try the 95 berger VLD very close point of impact no matter powder used or amount! Groups where at 1" or the best .8 at 100 yards so I will need to try them at 200 when the weather gives me another chance. The real dandy was 90 grain nosler bal tips shot a group that was .5" and gave me 2940 fps, the bergers seemed to do best at 2880-2900fps. I will try some more of the bergers when the weather improves but it will have to match the 90 grain noslers or they will be my choice as they have the heavier jacket. I have had bullets group better at 200 than 100 so I will try them at 200 and 300 and see what kind of groups I get, I will give up 1" groups at 100 if I can get it lower at 200. The 80 nolser did that, best at 100 was .9" and at 200 it went to .7".
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

has anyone on here used the 90g Lapua's? I use the 155g Lapua's in my 308 on coyotes with excellent results. Any field trials on these rounds? I'm sure they'd do just the same as a berger or smk.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

bigdog wrote:the Last two years 3 of us have stuck with and love 85 grain sierra gameking 41.5 grains H414. Just mess with the seating depth to see what your rifle likes for depth. I get 3150 fps over a chrono. we use the same load for mule deer. As far as coyote go small hole good kill.
So you are using the 85 grain sierra gameking as a combo round for both coyote and deer? That is what I would like to find. I use my 243 as my deer rifle, and also use it coyote hunting sometimes. Someone is going to help me do some reloading so I am looking for a round that will fill BOTH areas.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

XDEANO,

I also have been becoming really fond of the 87 GR V-Max. I'm running 50 GR RL19 through my .243 AI getting 3300 ish on the Pact Chrono. Only had one coyote fall to it and she didn't even fall out of her tracks.
CCI 200 WW hulls Rem 700 action Mcmillian handle
Rifle has a 1-9 Hart SS supermatch barrel.

Still working up a PET load but the current setup kills em good.
Norm
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

Tyrant and Pilgrim,

The 87 vmax do an excellent job.
Nice job guys.

xdeano
wildcatCo

Post by wildcatCo »

62 GR VARMINT GRENADE USING R-19, CCI LARGE RIFLE PRIMERS AND I CRIMP ALL MY LOADS
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

I have taken two deer and two coyotes with my 243 reloads this year. 87 Hornady BTHP with 39.2 grains of Win 760. Both deer were in the 100 yard range, broadside, lung shots. Both were DRT. One coyote was 120 yard brisket shot. No exit and bullet sized entrance. The other coyote was a weird one so inconclusive data.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team