Your .204 Ruger's Favorite Bullet?

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Dcoy
Top Dog

Re: Your .204 Ruger's Favorite Bullet?

Post by Dcoy »

I told Pilgram that I'd always felt a 'hot barrel' round was generally high,not low but he(probably correctly)never listens to me.I also told him I wouldn't worry about it but again he never.....
With .35 two shots,no worry at all unless three come in. :lol:
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

on a floated barrel the temp wil not be as big of a problem as shooting down a fouled barrel. HS precision shooters only go 10 rounds before thuroughly cleaning the barrel. this is on high grade cut barrels, factory hammer forged barrels tolerate even less fouling before the groups start to open up.
Coyotes Forever
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Dcoy- I usually ask you first. That said, how about I take #1 & #2, you take #3 (unless #3 is running down a hill from right to left)?

Quick Story: I was at the range about a month ago and this older fellow was shooting some scorching 4200 fps handloads through his .257W- 75 gr HPs for an antelope hunt he was leaving to head West the next day. His hits kept walking 2-4" POA to the right- lucky to hit a pie plate at 100yds; I trust he was set on toting a 500Y lazer. He just gave in and packed it all up knowing he'd be just the same to shoot an 870. I told him to focus on shooting the ones running L to R.

Coyotehunter, Thanks for the response. The rear tang to the chamber is bedded, the barrel forward of the chamber floats. Are you saying that a barrel with more fouling heats differently, or are your referring to fouling in general?

A rifle-builder friend says the barrel is too new to determine- Suggested I keep shooting and cleaning.
Last edited by Pilgrim on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

A couple of things: the guy with the .257, when you shoot your loads to hot they have a tendency to string horizontal of center, to slow and they string vetical.

fouled barrels in general.

the action and recoil lug should be bedded, if not the action at least the recoil lug

Hammered forged barrels are just that. hammered out. they run a rifled rod down the pipe and beat the metal in around it. more imperfections and may take some shooting to knock out all the burs. one shot followed by a new brush, scrub it clean and do it again. I would do this for at least the first 20, then go to every 5 shots until you hit 50. may be over kill to some and not enough to others. the gun will let you know.

:)
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Coyotehunter wrote: Hammered forged barrels are just that. hammered out. they run a rifled rod down the pipe and beat the metal in around it. more imperfections and may take some shooting to knock out all the burs. one shot followed by a new brush, scrub it clean and do it again. I would do this for at least the first 20, then go to every 5 shots until you hit 50. may be over kill to some and not enough to others. the gun will let you know.
:)
Thats how I broke in my .243 this summer, But I went till I hit 100 shots. The gun shoot very accurate, I am shooting factory ammo this year, and it will put bullet holes inside bullet holes next year when I try reloading
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Pilgram,I think you should try 100 grainers,I had one of those on my arrow yesterday and got a coyote.Worth a try. :lol:
rug204

Post by rug204 »

I shoot 33gr Calhoons as well as 39gr calhoons both are double hollow points and work really well :D
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Dcoy wrote:Pilgram,I think you should try 100 grainers,I had one of those on my arrow yesterday and got a coyote.Worth a try. :lol:
jezz took me a second, bowhunter, I get it. I want to see a pic :wink:
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I shoot 32 grain v-max factory loaded by Hornandy
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

HOW FAST are you boys getting the 33 ish gr pills to go ????

My K-Hornet is running around 3300FPS with moly 33GR speer HP's ( I know anything I shoot will be hating it ) Just curious what the 204 is running....

Norm
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

3850-3900 at 4000-4500 ft elevation
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Pilgram has a cow tag to fill in Colorado so he's at about 10,000.Suppose he's not using his 204 there though. :mrgreen: He'll weigh in on this info I'm sure when he gets back.
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

DP,

Returned home this AM, plugged in freezer, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. No access to email until Sunday AM.

BM
Dan
coyotehunter

Post by Dan »

The 39 grn Sierra is my favorite .204 bullt I have 3 .204s and all love the 39 grn Blitzking Sierra propelled by 26 grns of Varget I have tried several bullets but the 39 Blitzking is by far the most accurate. The only other one that even comes close is the 40 grn Hornady V-max. If you need anyother loading specs feel free to drop me a note and Ill do what I can to help. If there is one thing I have learned in 40 years of reloading is you never learn it all .
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Dan,

Thanks for sharing your experience and good to have you around here.

Seems ancient history since I initiated this thread. Have since overcome the 3rd bullet mystery by handlapping and recrowning the muzzle. 4 months and almost 300 firings later the 39 Blitzking (Federal factory loading) harmonizes nicely with the bore and the 32 Vmax will shoot acceptable groups. Everything else so far off it's puzzling but one door to Heaven is good enough for me.

I'm just starting to set up for handloading for 204 so count on me to pick your brain in the approaching months. Thanks for the offer to help!