BULLET CHOICE

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

manitoban

BULLET CHOICE

Post by manitoban »

hey,
i am new to this site and have a strong passion for coyote hunting.i shoot a browning a-bolt 22-250.with all of the new bullets out there i have reloaded most of them and thought id give my two sense from my experience.I only load 50gr bullets with either IMR 4895 or 4320.Hornady V-max are very explosive and do considerable pelt damage,especially if oyu hit any bone.the V-max is good with the slower velocities such as the 222 or 223 with rarely an exit hole beyond 100 yards.Nosler Ballistic Tip hold much better than the V-Max,pelt damage is less but still noticable.I have currently reloaded the CT Noslers but havent had a shot yet.Barnes XLC and Triple Shock have been the best so far with a hole through and through.Sure it might be over kill with a premium bullet,but for anyone who has sewn up a pin hole compared to one the size of your fist will appreciate the extra cost.Hornadys soft point holds up well with the Sierra close by.This all come from a combined total of 42 coyotes being taken over the last two seasons.Manitoba and Saskatchewan has a huge coyote population.Believe it or not we hunt the same area every year and guess what,those little buggers are back again.

out hunting
mike
220 Swift

Post by 220 Swift »

I really like the 50 gr. Sierra soft points and 4895 powder in my 220 swift. Once in awhile it leaves an ugly hole. Hides are not worth a lot of money here because they do not put a real heavy winter fur on. My thinking is kill them first worry about the damage later :lol: I have called on some of the same property for years. You take a few out and some new Coyotes move back in. GREAT , now I have more to hunt.
Snowball1968

Post by Snowball1968 »

V-max make a real mess out of a hide with my 22-250. Have been using 53gr Hornady Match Grade Hollow points with 36.5gr H380 for years with very good results. Only a few that have been blown up. Good solid kills with minimal damage; and I put up my own pelts. Even used on fox with pretty good results. Haven't tried many others because I haven't had a reason too. Good luck and shoot straight.
Snowball
1 shot
coyotehunter

Post by 1 shot »

manitoban, what are you using with the TSX bullets. I tried reloading those but I couldn't get a group on paper. The best 3 shot group I had was 2 at 1 inch and the third was 10 inches away. The rest of them were all scattered, lucky to be on paper.
He was running around where he shouldn't have
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Float the barrel and bed the action if you have not already done so, then give it a try. I have been shooting the past few years out of my 22-250 the Sierra 52 gr. BTHP with great results. Pushing it along with 40.5 gr. H380. I just screwed a Shilan .22-.250 AI High Grade. I will be trying the same bullets, just have not had the time to work with it.
Coyotes Forever
1 shot
coyotehunter

Post by 1 shot »

The TSX in my 22-250 is the only bullet that does not shoot accurately (that I have tried so far). I only tried it once. I used the X bullet data. I just never had time to really play with it. I'll try to work it out next spring. I was just hoping to get a good proven starter load.
The barrel isn't floated I might have to do that. What is bedding the action?
He was running around where he shouldn't have