having problems with the light .204 bullets on coyotes

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

RShaw

Re: having problems with the light .204 bullets on coyotes

Post by RShaw »

I shot the 35 gr. Bergers for two years. They were running 4020. Had lots of shoulder splashes and runners. Finally just gave up. Maybe I should have slowed them down, but I sure hate to buy a hotrod and just idle down the highway.

Randy
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I use mine mainly for fox, rabbits and praire dogs. I have shot a few coyotes with it but is not my go to gun for coyotes. I really think it is to small of a caliber for coyotes expecially for the type of hunting I do but a great gun for fox and shooting bait. I really need to load up some of the 40 grain berger varmint bullets and try them out. I shoot my 35 gr varmint bergers at around 3900 FPS.
Coyotes Forever
Jeff Rheborg
coyotehunter

Post by Jeff Rheborg »

Jamie,
I agree it is not the best caliber for coyotes, however it is an almost perfect gun for a young person or someone not used to shooting; not much recoil. I think it will do a fine job of knocking one down out to 200yds. I don't plan on using this as my go to gun for coyotes but it should be a nice back up if need be...

Jeff.
Jeff Rheborg, President
The Varmint Hunters Assoc.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

GREAT gun for youngsters
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I hear ya. I had a .17 rem. built for my boy when he was 8 years old. Fits him like a glove and when we go coyote hunting that is the gun he is carrying. Brad knocked over a pile of coyotes with that .204 of his with factory 32 gr. bullets. And if I remember right some of those where out in that 400 yard range. I took mine with a few times this spring in some rough country mainly because my .22-6mm and .22-.250 AI both weigh just short of a ton apiece. I have my .204 mounted up in a HS percision stock that is nice to hold and light to handle on long walks. 99% of the time I carry that .22-6mm, mainly because a near miss will damn near kill them. It hits real hard regardless of the distance. I do have a pile of money in my .204 and thuroughly enjoy shooting it and think that it is a great addition to anyones gun cabinet.
Coyotes Forever
Dan
coyotehunter

Post by Dan »

I have 3 204s and all like the 39 grn Sierras with 26 grns of varget great load and I havnt had a coyote walk off after being shot with the 39 grn all 3 rifles shoot under 1/2 inch groups and my savage Preditor shoots a 3 shot group of .280
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

How many have you shot with the 204's and what distances???