having problems with the light .204 bullets on coyotes

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

EO caller

Re: having problems with the light .204 bullets on coyotes

Post by EO caller »

I shoot the hornady 40 grain ballistic tips. I've had very good luck with it, after I figured out the wind effects this small bullet more than I'm used to. I shoot a 257 wthby most the time but ended up getting one for a gift. I've had a couple get up but not for very long. It sounds so good when it hits and is a great load for running shots since its so fast. My partner made a 350 yard running shot on a small female that had been missed by yours truly. she looked like a B.B rolling off a table when he hit her and she rolled about 60 feet in the dust. If I could figure out how, I would put the video on here. I haven't shot the 32 grainers but my partner has, He doesn't like them.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I shot the 40 gr. vmax for a bit and thought it shot fine, I recently started shooting the 35 berger and so far I really like that load for a truck gun. I have always thought the .204 to small of a gun for coyotes but if you put it right in the boiler room with a good hunting bullet it will put them down with authority. I have had problems with the lighter bullets and still not sure about the polymer tipped bullets on such a light bullet for coyotes. I really have ment to try the 40 gr. berger but have not done so yet.
Coyotes Forever
Jeff Rheborg
coyotehunter

Post by Jeff Rheborg »

Jamie,
Hornady makes a 45gr SP bullet and also has factory loads available with the 45gr. I recently bought the .204 Savage Predator with the fast twist. I believe it is a 1:9 twist... so that bullet should work well in that gun. I am waiting for the components to arrive to start working up a load. It should be a good load for coyotes. I will let you know what I find out..

Jeff.
Jeff Rheborg, President
The Varmint Hunters Assoc.
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Jeff, All I have shot out of my .204 is 32gr. v-max. Haven't had too bad of luck with that bullet, but will try the 45 gr. ones. I have found H-4895 works pretty well in my gun, but am always looking for somthing else.
Jeff Rheborg
coyotehunter

Post by Jeff Rheborg »

Jerry,
Thanks for the info, I have a few boxes of 32gr I will try, but am anxious to try the heavier bullet. I also ordered the new hornady reloading manual so if you need any other load data stop on out.

Later,
Jeff.
Jeff Rheborg, President
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Jeff make sure to let us know what that chronographs at getting that heavy with that little cartridge should make some velocity changes. Should be a good coyote load!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Jeff Rheborg
coyotehunter

Post by Jeff Rheborg »

Brad,
According to Hornady's ballistic chart for the factory ammo with the 45gr the muzzle velocity is 3625, 100yds - 3188, 200yds - 2792, 300yds - 2428, 400yds - 2093, 500yds - 1787. I think you have plenty of poop left at 300 yds to drop the dog in it's tracks. Hell even at 500 yds there is still 319 ft pounds left, that should slow it down, may not drop it right away, but sohuld slow it down with a well placed shot.

The components are showing up as I write this, give me a few weeks to get everything figured out and I will get back to you with my results.

Later,
Jeff.
Jeff Rheborg, President
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

great info jeff just because i'm curious what does the 22-250 have for velocity with the 45gr bullet?

The reason why i'm asking i'm just wondering if going to that big of a bullet if you're going to lose some of the selling points of the 204?
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I think a 45grain pill for a .250 is around 4100fps. I am pretty sure chris tried the 45 grain pill for a .250 and it was too light with that speed. The bullet wasn't penetrating, it was splatting on contact.

Let me know Chris if I am wrong.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Jeff Rheborg
coyotehunter

Post by Jeff Rheborg »

Brad,
I bought that gun strictly to shoot the heavier bullet, so I don't think I will dissapionted. I just got in from trying the 32gr v-max. I think the 1:9 twist on my barrel doesn't like the smaller stuff??? Could only group about an 1 1/2" with five shots at 100yds. Just ordered the 45gr factory ammo, will let you know how it does.

Now the 45gr ass kicker that Hook shoots out of his 22-250 is amazing. He is shooting the Winchester white box (4000fps). I won't go into details but what he is doing with that bullet defies all ballistics for that bullet. To many stories of success to argue with it... NO SPLASHES, just dead stuff...

Jeff.
Jeff Rheborg, President
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Other shooters have said the same about the ammo in the white box, good stuff..
I tried the 45 gr. in a 22-250 a few years ago it does a decent job on the coyotes and not hard on the fur. What i did'nt like about the 45 gr. was when i used it on those windy days in S.D.. Since then i've switched over to the hornady 52 gr. A-max...

Jeff say "Hey" to Hook for me. I shouldbe back out in Nov. T/A...
Jeff Rheborg
coyotehunter

Post by Jeff Rheborg »

Tim,
You just have to call them in closer on those windy days...LOL

I will indeed tell Hook you said hello... Hope to see you in Nov.

Jeff.
Jeff Rheborg, President
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Jeff: Forgot to say that the Mr. coyote contest was a blast, V.H did a great job putting that on. Now i know what to expect so Hook better practice up for next year.. Takecare..T/A
Red Fox
coyotehunter

Post by Red Fox »

I dont know if it has been said yet but the spin on the bullet has some to do with the effect it has. The faster you spin them and the closer the range the more violently the bullet falls apart. Wind effect is greater also. The Savage line has the faster twists and you can shoot heavier bullets but it cant be the clear choice or everone would be shooting fast twist with lighter bullets.
Jeff Rheborg
coyotehunter

Post by Jeff Rheborg »

Guys,
I gave out some wrong info on the twist for my 204 barrel. It is a 1:12 twist, my 22-250 has the 1:9. Just wanted to clear that up. Anyway I just tested the 40gr bullet and had much better results. I went from 1 1/2" with the 32's to 1/2" with the 40's. All 5 shot groups at 100yds. Very encouraging indeed. Still waiting on the 45's, but will let you know as soon as I know.

Jeff.
Jeff Rheborg, President