Anyone shootin a 22 hornet?

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

DakotaYota
coyotehunter

Anyone shootin a 22 hornet?

Post by DakotaYota »

Ive been sportin a custom encore in 22-250 for quite a while. But its hard on pelts at times. Just wonderin if anyones sportin a 22 hornet. I was thinking it might be easier on pelts for shots within 200 yards. So far the only company I have seen making new ones is Ruger. Anyone have one?
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Anyone shootin a 22 hornet?

Post by Tim Anderson »

I prefer the 221 F.B. over the hornet. Easey to load for and very accurate and good enough for 200 yd coyotes if needed.
DakotaYota
coyotehunter

Post by DakotaYota »

hmmm .221 FB nevere really thought bout that one....not too bad on furs though? Will look into it. I think Remmy still makes one chambered in that in the 700 dont they?
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Yes Rem. chambers it and so does CZ and a few other companies.. It does a pretty decent job on fox with the right bullets. I have a friend who uses his on coyotes when calling around houseing developements.. Another friend uses his on called coyotes, bobcats and also Mt. Lions.. Its a nice little cartridge..
DakotaYota
coyotehunter

Post by DakotaYota »

Thanks....sounds good. I will do a little looking.
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

I have a Ruger 77/22 in that began it's life as a hornet. I had a gunplumber rechamber it to a 22 K hornet.

I fling 33GR speer HP @ 3100 FPS +/- depending on temp. With Hodgen Lil gun.

It is ALMOST my favorite rifle, 200 YDS is a very conservative operating range... WIth correct shot placement a coyote will have a very bad day.

Norm
Roane Ranger
coyotehunter

Post by Roane Ranger »

New to the forum, so I am just now posting a comment.

I use a Ruger 77/22 in 22 Hornet and I feed it 40 gr. V-Max reloads with Lil' Gun.
I'm not concerned with speed, just accuracy.
If you can't hit it exactly wher you want it, it don't matter how fast it was- it is still a miss.
Not much variation on powder 12 min to 13 max grains for that case- but the pressure is low.
I think that is key to accuracy- I always pick loads that produce the most speed with the least pressure.
I also use the Lee neck sizing dies, etc.- very accurate ammo from these die sets it seems.
The 35 gr. V-Max Hornady factory loads go around 3100 fps, as does the Remington 35 gr. ATV factory loads, supposedly.

I had a 221 Fireball once- in the XP-100 handgun with a 4x scope back in the mid-70's.
It shot very well with 55 gr. Sierra BTHP- don't remember the powder or load, just that it was fast and very accurate.
It made a mess of anything it hit- I killed many crows at 200+ yds with it. :D
(I've even killed a few of those with a 357 magnum revolver.) :D

22 K-Hornet gives you about 15% more case space, if I remember correctly.
My uncle had one in a S&W revolver once- I have never seen it used in a rifle, although I have considered doing what the other gentleman did, too.

I don't have as many places to shoot longer ranges than say 300 yards here in WV when calling predators. :cry:
I used to groundhog hunt out to 800 yd. with a Remington 700 Varmint Special in 22-250, but ran out of farms that you could see that far and not line up with houses, etc.
The farms are growning up in brush (which is good for most game), and the 22-250 is loud near homes, too.

I also have a 243 Win, when things need to "get out there". :)
It is very accurate out to at least 400 yards- but it is loud, too.

I have a hard time picking favorites, but I think that 22 Hornet is very close. :D
Roane Ranger
coyotehunter

Post by Roane Ranger »

I was shooting my Ruger 22 Hornet today with some factory Remington 45 gr HP's, and the thought of this post and converting the rifle to 22 K-Hornet crossed my mind.

I was wondering if TYRANT had to modify the clips to fit the K-Hornet any at all?

Still considering this mopdification- wonder if it is worth the 15% capcity/volume increase? One of the biggest positive reasons is case life is extended. Someone on another forum mentioned that they wouldn't do it to a this rifle- is it because they don't make it anymore, or it's value, or what?

Any comments, or ideas?
Hunt hard, shoot straight, kill clean, and apoligize to no one!
NRA Endowment Life Member
USMC 1980-1985
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Anyone own or have shot the Rem. 5mm?
Coyotes Forever
Roane Ranger
coyotehunter

Post by Roane Ranger »

I have shot one, once upon a time. It wasn't anything to write home about, though.
Worked with a guy who had one, and swore by it. He was always trying to find ammo for it (since they had quit making it).

Back in their day, I think they were something (maybe ahead of their time), but now with the 204 Ruger, and the 17 calibers- not so hot. The ammo was always hard to find & expensive, but now they are making it again, I hear, or at least having a limited run. With the price tag of all ammo, I'd just avoid one (unless you collect) and stick with something that fires the more plentiful stuff.
USMC 1980-1985
Roane Ranger
coyotehunter

Post by Roane Ranger »

Been casting, reloading, and shooting my Hornet with 225438 and 2254115 bullets in Lyman #2 alloy, using 12.5 gr. of Lil Gun. They shoot as good as the 35 or 40 grain ballistic tips, so far. I want to try some jacketed bullets lighter than 35 grain in this rifle. eventually.
The cast bullets shoot pretty good, but I stil need to fine tune the load some. Just getting 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards right now. I want to stretch them out to at least 200 later this fall. I would love to find a HP mould in the 225415, if I could. I'd bet that would put the smack down on a varmint!

We have an early anterless bow and muzzleloader season here this year (begins middle of September) and the coyotes are beginning to disrupt the usual flow of things around here now. My neighbor has taken mostly coyotes pictures on his game cameras. I have not put mine out yet, but will be placing them this weekend. I've had several issues with coons getting into my out buildings, so it looks like it is time to open season and get busy calling.
Last edited by Roane Ranger on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USMC 1980-1985
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Roane Ranger wrote:We have an early anterless bow and muzzleloader season here this year (begins middle of September) and the coyotes are beginning to disrupt things the usual flow of things around here now. My neighbor has taken mostly coyotes pictures on his game cameras. I have not put mine out yet, but will be placing them this weekend. I've hadd several issues with coons getting into my out buildings, so it looks like it is time to open season and et busy calling.
Dont forget to take pics and post them :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!