barnes varmit grenades??????????

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

bucksnbears
coyotehunter

barnes varmit grenades??????????

Post by bucksnbears »

anybody out there using these. i've loaded about 200 rounds of them and am not real happy with the results on coyotes. poor penatration. shooting a 250 at about 4200 fps. they do work well on fox but am having trouble with yotes. getting superb accuracy though, this is with a 1-12 twist. they dont shoot real well out of my .222 with a 1-14. anybody using these and having luck???????
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
xdeano
coyotehunter

Re: barnes varmit grenades??????????

Post by xdeano »

I too had some issues with them in the 243, they make to big of a splash with very poor penetration. Just not the results I wanted. So you're not the only one.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

Aren't they made for varmints p.dogs,ground hogs etc...to make them go splat :shock:
a proud member of the "IF" team
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

say's in their literature there good for coyote but i won't be using them anymore. to bad cuz they ere super accurate.i have shot a few jacks with them and work very well on them. usually no exit hole.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
wizbang
coyotehunter

Post by wizbang »

Has anyone tried slowing them down at all?? Results?
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Tbush wrote:Aren't they made for varmints p.dogs,ground hogs etc...to make them go splat :shock:
Tbush you hit it right on the head. Im sure they do wonders on p-dogs but as far as a coyotes goes you can't bielieve everything they say. They are marketing the coyote hunters to sell more product. It's nothing but a sales pitch in my opinion and would never use them on a coyote. Not a coyote bullet for this guy!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Wiz,

The bullets have a greater than normal bearing surface so slowing down equates to poor stability/ tumbling. Gotta speed them up to keep them spinning.
wizbang
coyotehunter

Post by wizbang »

Oh. Marketing then...
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I have had decent luck with them in my 22-250 but they just won't knock anything down in my .223. They do shoot all over the place in my .223 also. Is this due to the slower speed? I am saving all of them in my 22-250 for prarie dog hunting this summer. What is a few favorite bullets for the 22-250 you guy's shoot?
"God hates a coward"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

DustyC wrote:I have had decent luck with them in my 22-250 but they just won't knock anything down in my .223. They do shoot all over the place in my .223 also. Is this due to the slower speed? I am saving all of them in my 22-250 for prarie dog hunting this summer. What is a few favorite bullets for the 22-250 you guy's shoot?
i got this load from a very respectible individual and it shoots awesome out of my .22-250. Its a sierra 52 grain HPBT that is pushed by 41.5 grains of H-380 at a velocity average of 3,850 fps.
Chris Lyon

DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Is that load pretty easy on the fur?
"God hates a coward"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I just started using that load this year. I have not had an opportunity to check it on many coyotes this year. On paper its great and the few i did get with it were dead right there. I had one runner on me this year and i ended up loosing it, but was my fault due to very poor shot placement. I know two individuals who have shot this load in the past when they shot a .22-250 and said this load is a definitely a fur load. Once i get a chance to test it on a few more dogs then i will give a better answer. Oh and i hate sewing and haven't had to sew any of the dogs i shot with it.
Chris Lyon

DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Thanks for the info. I'll try a few out.
"God hates a coward"
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

what kind of primers with this load. make/magnum or standard????
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I dont know what type of primers i used. I know they are CCI and there a standard large rifle primer. I think its a 200 model if that means anything. I just bought a big box of a 1,000 and dont plan on changing anytime soon.
Chris Lyon