What do you consider "FAST"?

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Roane Ranger
coyotehunter

What do you consider "FAST"?

Post by Roane Ranger »

Got to thinking about this because another topic caused me to remember a lot of past experiences, etc. :)

It has been many years since I have discovered "the way" as most serious reloaders eventually do. :roll:
With the advent of some of these new calibers (e.g.- 17's, 20's, WSSM, RUM, etc.) and some of the still popular wildcats (none of which I am a follower), what constitutes "FAST" in your handloads, or factory loads for that matter?
Given that 4000 fps barrier is the one that all of the factory varmint rounds strive to exceed (which very few have done and can be reproduced)- but what is FAST to you? :?:
wizbang
coyotehunter

Re: What do you consider "FAST"?

Post by wizbang »

Depends on bullet weight I guess. I like anything around 3500 fps for the bullet getting there quick without needing much lead. you?
Roane Ranger
coyotehunter

Post by Roane Ranger »

Depends on the bullet, AND the caliber.

If we're talking a 30-06 and a 180 gr bullet, then I'm happy around 2700-2800 fps.
If it's 243 Win, and 85 gr bullets then 3000-3200 fps is good.
My 22 Hornet and 40 gr bullets is around 2700 fps.
A 30-30 is different still.
I reload for accuracy, speed is secondary- I just wondered what everyone's idea of "FAST" is.
I, unfortunately, can not check the actual speed of my reloads, so I have to give a very educated guess based on calculations and zero ranges.
My cousin managed to waste my chronograph a few years ago, and has never bothered to replace it :cry: , and I have never bothered to reinvest. I realize it would be helpful for answering some questions, but I do not "stretch my barrels" anymore like I used to enjoy doing, so it has not been very important to me to replace it. :|

So, what is your idea of fast? :?:
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

My response is in terms of all centerfire in general.

Point blank max range/ general trajectories don't change much once you exceed 3100. Anything over 3000 FPS at the muzzle is a race horse.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Speed is overrated. Its nice, but not required.

I shoot a .22-250 at 3650. Not "fast" for that caliber by any means, but they go where their supposed to, and thats more important to me than speed.

In a perfect world, id be able to shoot a given caliber at the upper end of its speed spectrum (get her shooting as flat as possible), have "single hole" groups, and maintain bullet performance at that speed. But, this world isnt perfect, and we dont always get what we want.

I load for accuracy first and foremost.
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

I agree 100% with bare back jack! I want accuracy over speed. Best if a guy can get both at closer to top ends ,but I don't worry about it as bullet drop with todays technology is far easier to compensate for a good bal program,good reticle and a good range finder and 200 yard zeros makes most loads workable to longer ranges. I shoot a 90 grain bal tip from a .243 at 2930 FPS as it gives me great groups and good wind deflection in areas where the wind blows more often than not ,I worry about it more than bullet drop.
jaeger-dog

Post by jaeger-dog »

The only rifle I have that has been chronographed is my custom 7mm-300weatherby. 300 weatherby case necked down to 7mm and it was shooting around 3500fps with 160gr partitions and accubonds. Too fast for the partitions. I shot an elk at 250 yards with the partition and looked like i shot him in the shoulder with a hollowpoint. Had to shoot him in the neck to kill him.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

sounds like the barnes tsx would do nicely in that caliber
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Wait and see if .22-250AI get on this thread, that guy shoots everything "fast" :) I think the last I heard he was running two or three of his .22-250 Ackley loads well over 4000fps. But he likes new barrels :lol:

I'm running my .22-250 Ackley w/75 grain A-MAX @ 3450fps, not "fast" but its alot of pressure for that load and you can tell. I had them a little hotter and the groups didn't change but the pressure signs were to much :) I dropped it back down to that and still shooting five in less than .75 inches most of the time.

Running my "fire form" loads 55gr.v-max @ 3650fps. again not fast but they shoot through the same hole as my A-MAX loads :) Got to love it.

Working on a 50gr. V-MAX load with Ackley brass right now. The chrono is showing just under 4000fps and no pressure signs at all. I got a long way to go with that one, and the grouping is decent, seems to be getting tighter as we get hotter........
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Fast is as fast as you can go with accuracy.Anything less is ballistically foolish if your goal is to hit things.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

i load up to what the gun likes and leave it at that. I am shooting a standard remington model 700 in .22-250 and my 55 grain sierras are chronoed at an average of 3766 fps. It seems that hotter i make the load the better the gun likes it. I worked it up until i felt the next step would be uncomfortable to shoot in the back of my mind, so thats where its at and so far have been really likeing it.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Dcoy wrote:Fast is as fast as you can go with accuracy.Anything less is ballistically foolish if your goal is to hit things.
Exactly!!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Chris,
To me,what you did makes sense.In looking at my comment,I'm not saying what you or anyone else decides to do is 'foolish'-in fact its 'smart' if you're at your comfort spot-what I'm saying is from a pure ballistic standpoint fast is better if it meets a pre-determined accuracy standard.(ie,1 inch at 200 or whatever.)A straight line is always the shortest distance between 2 points. :D
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Dcoy wrote:Chris,
To me,what you did makes sense.In looking at my comment,I'm not saying what you or anyone else decides to do is 'foolish'-in fact its 'smart' if you're at your comfort spot-what I'm saying is from a pure ballistic standpoint fast is better if it meets a pre-determined accuracy standard.(ie,1 inch at 200 or whatever.)A straight line is always the shortest distance between 2 points. :D

I agree 100% Dcoy!! If i can shoot those same groups with a load that is 300 fps faster, in which happened in my case, i will do it any day of the week. It is just mind boggling to me on how touchy a gun can be by adjusting the powder weight .5 grains. I had groups go from, wow it looks like im shooting a shotgun at 200, to yeah i can accept that while working that load up .5 grain increments :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I'll side with BBJ, accuracy is the key, velocity comes second.

Anything over 3000fps is smoken in my book, even for small bullets.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini