45 gr. 204!!!

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

wizbang
coyotehunter

45 gr. 204!!!

Post by wizbang »

Just noticed yellowdog posted in another topic that Hornady just came out with a 45 grain softpoint bullet for the 204. Thought this would be a great stand-alone topic too.

Anyone use it yet?
Ballistics??
Fur damage??

Hornady says the factory loads are going 3625fps at the muzzle-- 2792fps @ 200yds w/ 778ft-lbs.
Source: https://www.hornady.com/shop/?page=ball ... _sku=83208
Last edited by wizbang on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: 45 gr. 204!!!

Post by lyonch »

I think it just came out!! If it did just come out you wont get any solid results until the end of next years season. There needs to be more than just 2 dogs shot with the bullet before anyone can truly say this is the bullet to use.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Jeff Rheborg
coyotehunter

Post by Jeff Rheborg »

WIzbang, I have used this bullet on coyotes. My results are this; shot a dog at 315yds and it got up and ran away dragging guts. Yes, it was poor shot placement on my part, but it seems to me I had reached the end of the knock down power of that cartridge/bullet. I know allot of guys are killing dogs with this cartridge and I believe they are, but I wouldn't totally rely on this gun strictly for coyotes. In my opinion it is a 250yd gun. That's not a bad thing if you can get them that close all the time. Just my opinion...

Jeff.
Jeff Rheborg, President
The Varmint Hunters Assoc.
shooter93
coyotehunter

Post by shooter93 »

i have never tryed the 45 grn i use 40 grn only, and i do kill dogs at 300 easy 600 is easy (feet that is) i think what was said is right we wont know but if the gut were hanging out that was enough to smack them hard enough to kill easy enough, a 223 or 222 can kill that far
wizbang
coyotehunter

Post by wizbang »

I posted this thread awhile ago but I just noticed Berger makes some heavier 204 bullets.

Anyone have any experience with the 50 or 55gr Bergers?? Speed? Fur? Wind drift??
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

with the .204 I have found that for the most part they just do not have the right bullet for coyote. I do not think it is the cal. as much as poor design for coyotes. my experience has been on marginal shots there is not enough there to finish the deal. The bullets the quickly fragment work fine for prairie dogs and thta is about it. tears fox up something fierce as well. I like my .204 alot but just not a 300 yard coyote gun. IMO
Coyotes Forever
Jeff Rheborg
coyotehunter

Post by Jeff Rheborg »

sold mine to a prairie dog hunter and he loves it. I agree just not enough, I kinda knew that going in, but had to try it for myself. Got my money back so all is well...
Jeff Rheborg, President
The Varmint Hunters Assoc.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I do love shooting mine at praire dogs. perfect prairie dog gun.
Coyotes Forever