Removing Moly Coating

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

LeviM
coyotehunter

Removing Moly Coating

Post by LeviM »

I have been shooting 58 grain moly v-max this season in my .243. I am going to reload a real bullet (sore subject) for next season, and don't want to use moly bullets. I probably shot around 150 moly bullets through it. Whats the best way to clean that moly out? How important is it to get the moly out? Thanks guys
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Pilgrim

Re: Removing Moly Coating

Post by Pilgrim »

Levi,

It will coat over copper & fouling but use the rigt cleaning stuff an it'll come out with the rest.

Send me a PM and I'll send you a remedy.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Kroil mixed half and half with shooters choice..
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

holy s@@t- :shock: :shock: a 58 grain out of a 243.?? what kinda velocity do you get and what kind of damage does it do..
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

bucksnbears

not that great of bullet, 3650 fps with some splashing. I lost two dogs because of splashing, and one cost us first place in a tournament. There was not alot of fur damage. I can't wait to get rid of these bullets, just a few boxes left
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

Levi,

I used Moly for years on my 250 and there came a day that I to wanted to get that stuff out. I used Montana Xtreme 50BMG and a lot of elbow grease to get that crap out. I used it on prairie rats and cleaned ever 200 - 300 rounds, then reapplied the moly to the barrel and used the moly on the bullets. The stuff takes a long time to scrub out. Just keep at it. What happens if the barrel isn't coated with moly is the bullets will rub the moly off into the groves and imperfections. So on a clean barrel, your first shot will streak the barrel with a bit of moly then go copper the rest of the way. The second round will skim over the left over moly tell it hits the point that the last bullet left moly and it'll leave a bit more moly over the copper that was displaced from the previous bullet causing a slight buildup of moly, copper, moly, copper, moly until the barrel is completely coated with moly. You'll think you're done, but just add a bit more solvent and do it again, you'll be surprised at how much more you can get off. A buddy of mine has a bore scope and says that it almost creates a doughnut just after the throat.

have fun,

Deano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Sounds like I got a job ahead of me!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Levi,

Thanks for the PM. I responded a few minutes ago.

Not difficult. 12 to 15 patches total, no scrubbing... Bore shiny as new or I'll walk across ND in snowshoes- backwards.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Thanks Pilgrim, I replied back! You must be serious if you are willing to walk backwards in snow shoes :lol:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Jeff Rheborg
coyotehunter

Post by Jeff Rheborg »

Levi,
Here is what I use, but I will warn you not to use it on a regular basis. Darrell Holland puts out a cleaning solution that I promise will only take you about 5 - 10 min to clean anything/everything out of your barrel. It is his famous Witches Brew.

http://www.hollandguns.com find the maintenance button and it is right there.

Again, don't use it all the time and be sure to follow the instructions. It is a simple procedure, just like cleaning your rifle, I promise it really works.

Jeff.
Jeff Rheborg, President
The Varmint Hunters Assoc.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Thanks Jeff, anything with the Name "Witches Brew" has to be nasty stuff
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

you guys need to be careful what you tell levi!!! I dont need a phone call asking if he can stay at my place cause he blew his house up :lol: :lol: When you call it a witches brew that isn't good :lol: :lol: If you are willing to walk across north dakota backwards that must be some serious stuff as well :lol: :lol: Levi i suggest being in a well ventilated area using these chemicals (your brain is fried enough the way it is) :mrgreen:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Let us know how that goes. When I got my 243 I almost started shooting moly coated bullets but then I read a lot of people who didn't like it because of the cleaning involved.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

There was this product called "spooge" that plainsman put me on a few years ago that I'd forgotten to mention. It is probably the best stuff to get the moly out, but I can't find a place to buy it. I'll ask him and see what he says.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

Well, I guess they don't make the product any longer. Sorry man. It was a good product.
xdeano