88 grain berger bullets

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

tcsniper

88 grain berger bullets

Post by tcsniper »

Hey guys, Anyone tried the 88 grain berger bullets for .243? Appreciate any help. Thanks
xdeano
coyotehunter

Re: 88 grain berger bullets

Post by xdeano »

I shoot the 90g Berger match in 243win, they work very well. They open up pretty well, if your going to save fur, probably not the best bullet, it'll open up the exit to the size of a softball. But it makes them dead.
The 88g has a bc of .391
The 90g has a bc of .410
why not bump it the extra 2 grains and get away from a flat base and loose some friction. Just a thought. ;)

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

xdeano, whats the difference in preformance from flat base to boattail. i,ve heard that a boattail is more destructive on fur??? any thoughts??
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I think that either bullet will do a lot of fur damage. I don't think there is a difference between flat base and boat tailed bullets besides the friction that the flat base creates. It's all aerodynamics. You'll basically get the same muzzle velocity between the two bullets, but the advantage is really only seen at a distance, the bc. difference isn't that big of a deal. You will not be able to see the difference between the 88 and the 90g unless you are looking at long range, I should have made that clear earlier. You really won't start seeing the difference unless you shoot at 1000yds. Even then the difference is pretty minimal.

It's a horse a piece, use what you have, they work very well on coyotes. :)

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I thought I read somewhere when doing research on some bullet options that Boattails will stabilize better at longer distances compared to flat base bullets
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
tcsniper

Post by tcsniper »

Appreciate the info.
xdeano: What's the twist in your .243 and what charge are you pushing that bullet with?
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

The rifle is a Sako 1-10" twist.

90g Berger Match
cheap Winchester Brass
CCI 200 primers
35.5g Varget
OAL 2.8"

I was printing .5" groups at 200 while in load development.

They work great on coyotes and deer. ;)

xdeano
tcsniper

Post by tcsniper »

xdeano: Thanks for the reply and info.
tcsniper : :)
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Levi,

Boattails are the hands down choice of the long range(600-1000 yard) shooters because they are aerodynamically superior to a flat-base bullet in pretty much every way. I also may be wrong on this but fur damage is causes by the bullet tip and its design and construction and has nothing to do with the base shape(to my limited knowledge). If boat tails werent better those guys wouldnt be shooting them but I will also say that there are fellas on this site and others who know alot more about this than I do and If they disagree with what I have said, I would listen to them! :D

Just me .02

Jaybic
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

jaybic wrote:Levi,

Boattails are the hands down choice of the long range(600-1000 yard) shooters because they are aerodynamically superior to a flat-base bullet in pretty much every way. I also may be wrong on this but fur damage is causes by the bullet tip and its design and construction and has nothing to do with the base shape(to my limited knowledge). If boat tails werent better those guys wouldnt be shooting them but I will also say that there are fellas on this site and others who know alot more about this than I do and If they disagree with what I have said, I would listen to them! :D

Just me .02

Jaybic
With the VERY VERY little knowledge that I have, the research I have been doing, agrees with you Jaybic! They are designed for long range shooting!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I'll agree they are made for long range shooting. But the bullet that he was asking about(88g Berger) and the bullet that I had mentioned (90g Berger), the difference was very minimal, even at a grand. That's why I didn't say for him to really stick with one bullet over the other. For the application that he'll be using them for, less than 300yds for most shots i'm guessing, the BC gain wouldn't do him any good. Even at a 1000yds the difference was about 1MOA or about 10".

I'll also agree that the base has nothing to do with how nasty they are on fur. Fur damage has a lot to do with what, where, and how you hit the animal and at what velocity the bullet is hitting at the time. Bullet construction has a great deal to do with it also. Lead nose, ballistic tip, hollow point, match hollow point and jacket construction all react differently.

stick with the 88's, you'll do fine.
xdeano