made a mistake

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

bucksnbears
coyotehunter

made a mistake

Post by bucksnbears »

i loaded 100 rounds yesterday of 22-250 and realized i used the wrong powder :oops: :oops: .i need to pull the rounds and am wondering if i need to resize the necks. also can i reuse the bullet. i have the inertia / hammer type bullet puller. i'll wait to re-do these untill i get some advice. i can't believe this happened as i am very carefull when reloading. very stupid/dangerous mistake :oops: :evil:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: made a mistake

Post by lyonch »

If the bullets have any marks in them at all i wouldn't reuse them. When you get a few done i would then try to put the new powder in and try to seat a new bullet. You should be able to tell from the pressure it takes to seat the bullet. If it is easier than before i would resize them all and if it is the same as before you should be good to go. I'm no expert at reloading so i would wait until some one with more experience posts something as well.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
ipopum

Post by ipopum »

I Have Reloaded For Years. The Bullets Should Be Fine To Reuse . I Use A Collet Type Puller & I Use Them Without Noticeing Any Loss Of Accuracy.
tiller

Post by tiller »

I shoot pulled bullets unless they're deformed. If you are shooting a load you've worked up and you don't size the neck tension will be different and may not shoot to the same poi.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

bucksnbears wrote:i loaded 100 rounds yesterday of 22-250 and realized i used the wrong powder :oops: :oops: .i need to pull the rounds and am wondering if i need to resize the necks. also can i reuse the bullet. i have the inertia / hammer type bullet puller. i'll wait to re-do these untill i get some advice. i can't believe this happened as i am very carefull when reloading. very stupid/dangerous mistake :oops: :evil:

You need to take a nap before reloading!!! Your too tired from fighting the flood! LOL :lol:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Pull the bullets and set them aside you can re-use them. Remove the decapping stem from youre die and then just screw it in so it only resizes the neck.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

tim, i'm not sure what the last part means??. do i have to dump the powder and do this step over also??> oop's i guess thats a dumb ??, as the powder comes out with the bullet. anyway, as for the stem do you mean just the small decapping tip ??
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

BnB just unscrew the decapping rod and then you can resize lick you normally do. This will allow you to resize your brass without punching your good primers out :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Question: Whats wrong with the powder you used by mistake? Is the charge to hot? If its another rifle powder and the charge is within limits then just go shoot it up.. Like lyonch said just remove the decapping rod from die.. You won't need to screw the die all the way down, you just need to resize the neck and can get buy with out haveing to lube the case again..
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i used blc-2 instead of win. 748. the laod is safe to shoot but does not group near as well as the 748. thanks for the info guys, i'll do it on the next crappy day we get :roll:
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

bucksnbears wrote:i used blc-2 instead of win. 748. the laod is safe to shoot but does not group near as well as the 748. thanks for the info guys, i'll do it on the next crappy day we get :roll:
that should be soon enough then!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

As long as they are loaded safely(not too hot), I would shoot em up on my next prairie dog trip or use them for practice rounds like off-hand or off shooting sticks or something like that. Keep them for plinking rounds....crows....heck, practice shooting in a nasty crosswind with them. Wind and wobble(off hand and off sticks)will move them around enough that it wont matter that they arent as accurate as the 748 loads. That way, you didnt load them for nothing and waste your work and you get some good practice out of it.

On the other hand, if the best they shoot is 3 inches at 100 yards, yep...pull em down and reload em. I would also reload them if I was short on primers. They are hard to come by these days and have gotten WAAAAAYYYYY spendy.

Just my .02

Jaybic