17 HMR INSIGHT NEEDED

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Pilgrim

17 HMR INSIGHT NEEDED

Post by Pilgrim »

Anyone own a 17 HMR?

My dad bought one for his grandkids to shoot & left it at my house to set it up.

I trust my girls can hunt coyotes with it if close enough considering there's an adult to back them up.

What are rules of thumb incl bullets? zero range?
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: 17 HMR INSIGHT NEEDED

Post by Tim Anderson »

What are rules of thumb incl bullets? zero range
Real simple! Don't use it on coyotes... :shock:
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Great rabbit and squirrel gun terrible for coyotes use it for them to practice with until they can step up to a bigger gun.

I've got a big long rant and rave about it in the top dog forum SHOWING why it is not a coyote gun.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I shot a few coon with mine aiming for the body as they charged my electric caller, one went down real easey the second required 3 shots and a windmill toss to finish off.. If a 17 cal. is going to be used on coyotes it should produce a vel. of 3800 fps or more..
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Thanks for the responses. I swear to God that I wasn't seeking an endorsement for the 17hmr as a coyote caliber.

I'll re-phrase: Independent of consideration for use as a coyote rifle, how did you guys set yours up?

Sidenote: Of all places on the WWW, I sure hope no one @ CH loses too much sleep knowing that I've made up my mind should a kid be less than #80 pounds and competent with a Red Ryder, or .177, 410, 22, or 17 of any flavor... that he/she can haul it with if they choose to come along on a coyote hunt or two.
Last edited by Pilgrim on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I'm sure you have been to other boards and seen how heated it can get when the 17 HMR is brought up.
If you plan on trying to kill coyotes with one its maybe best to just keep it to youreself. :mrgreen:
On the other hand i was always taught to use the right gun and Cal. for the job at hand. If i'm deer hunting i use a 20 or 12 ga. slug gun and not a 22 l.r... If its fox or coyotes use the proper gun to kill them cleanly if possable everytime, The 17 HMR in my book is'nt the proper tool but its a free country do what you want just don't tell me about it.. :shock:
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Letting a kid carry a gun of any sort so that he/she feels like they are in the game is not "hunting" with that caliber you won't hear any negative comments from me on the subject
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Pilgrim wrote:Thanks for the responses. I swear to God that I wasn't seeking an endorsement for the 17hmr as a coyote caliber.

I'll re-phrase: Independent of consideration for use as a coyote rifle, how did you guys set yours up?

Sidenote: Of all places on the WWW, I sure hope no one @ CH loses too much sleep knowing that I've made up my mind should a kid be less than #80 pounds and competent with a Red Ryder, or .177, 410, 22, or 17 of any flavor... that he/she can haul it with if they choose to come along on a coyote hunt or two.
Glad to see you are taking a kid hunting. My hats off to you.
Coyotes Forever
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Thanks, CH.

Here's my 12yo daughter on a recent shoot. The 17hmr is a cz452, scope is a nikon 4x. Works out nicely. I like this cz so much I'm itching for a cz kevlar as a coyote rifle. I'll resist for now.

Anyway, my 2 girls like to shoot and they shoot very well. The pic target is 58 yards and there are 3 holes in that coyote's back. She didn't know the scope was was zeroed for 150yds so figured to put the crosshairs on the warthog's belly-- the hole tells it all. Lots of fun to do this stuff with kids! She's talking deer and elk now.
czshoot 007.jpg
czshoot 007.jpg (54.65 KiB) Viewed 14096 times
Attachments
czshoott.jpg
czshoott.jpg (71.79 KiB) Viewed 14097 times
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Looks like they are having a great time!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I have a 204 in a CZ and couldn't be happier VERY UNDERATED company!
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Here's a CZ 527 Kevlar. Sort of a varmint configuration but has a true micro-length action so weighs the same as a 700 sporter contour. Very cool! I was thinking of building something but I'd rather have one of these:
czkevlar.png
czkevlar.png (44.72 KiB) Viewed 14004 times
PH,
Do you have the Varmint or American?
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

American
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Thanks for the response.

I'm going to bed and replace the trigger spring in this 452 American in the approaching weeks.

Have you done any modification to yours?
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Bedded, floated and the trigger had creep so my gunsmith made it into a one stage trigger instead of the two stage from the factory.