Stretcher Question?

Do you have questions or tips to share on putting up your fur, this is the place to go

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Fallguy
coyotehunter

Stretcher Question?

Post by Fallguy »

This is the first year I want to try putting up some fur to sell. i have two coyotes hanging right now that I plan on skinning tomorrow. The problem is that I do not have any stretchers at the moment. Is there a place around Grand Forks where one can buy some of those? I know I seen them at Scheels in Fargo and I am going to Fargo next Saturday the 13th. Would it be ok to freeze teh hides and then finish prepping them after a week, or will that screw them up? Also is there a certain size stretcher I need to get?
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

You are going to have to flesh before throwing them on a stretcher. You can freeze them and they will be fine. Ardell Grawe sells some of the best stretchers made right down by whapeton, ND www.graweslures.com
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

How much do I have to flesh? Do you have a picture I could use as a reference?

I just got the yotes skinned tonight and thrown in the freezer. One was having a flea problem so I am glad to get them frozen. :shock:

I know I have to do the following to the hides but I am unsure of the best order to do this in. Is this correct? If not can you reorder them for me?

1. Comb out burrs
2. Flesh
3.Sew holes
4. Wash fur
5. Dry with compressed air
6. Put on stretcher

Also, when do you split the tail? Is ther much to flesh in the tail or can you split it after?

I may have to give that guy a call. I suppose I could drive down to Whap from fargo.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Jamie

I think I am just going to buy stretchers from that guy. What size do I need for coyotes? I will just order two so I can do two furs at a time. By the time I end up driving down to Whapeton I could probably just pay the shipping and save time and wear on the vehicle. Let me know what is best. Thanks.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Are you going to be at the "Classic"? If so I could show you all this in a couple of days. You got the order right. Split the tail as soon as you get done skinning, use some Borax on the tail and around the ear buds. You will want to at least knock the big chunks off. the neck, shoulders, chest, and hips.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

I cannot make it to the classic. I have a rules clinic for track coaching that I have to go to every year, and it is always teh same weekend. :x I already have the yotes frozen without the tails split. Will I be able to split them after teh fact?

When you put them on the stretcher you just want them to dry up then? Are the fur people still able to tan them later?
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Yep, splitting them later will be fine. The tanning is the next step, have you seen how the hides are dried and what to look for?
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

WEll I ordere two wood stretches from the guy in Whapeton. I had to pay a overcharge UPS of 10 bucks but I figured it isn't any more than my gas and time would have cost me.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Jamie

When you say if I know what to look for do you mean do I know what to do?

I had BradT show me one time how to prep furs. I have a pretty good memory for things like that but hopefully if I have any questions you guys could give me some pointers. What are some of the biggest trouble spots that fur buyers will dock you for?

Here is a question that won't help me anyway since they are already skinned? When you are skinning, about how much of the hide ends up staying on the carcass around the anus and the nutsack, etc? I hope I didn't trim TOO much off the pelt.

A second question: How much length do you leave for the legs on the pelt? Can they dock you for not having enough leg length or don't they use the legs?
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

FalllGuy-

Brad told me about this video, "skinning for profit by Blaine Eddy" I have never preped my furs before, and after watching this video I can say in full confidence I can prep my own furs. At the end of the video Blaine has a fur buyer come look at his furs and explain what fur buyers are looking for in the quality of the furs.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Yep, Brad borrowed my copy of that video and it is great to watch. Another one is called the "The 2 minute coyote" that has some good info in it as well. The front legs I cut them just past the elbow and the back legs I go just up to the bottom of the tendon for the ham. I cut from the inside of the leg at the color seperation down between the vent and the scrotum. You can then cut on each side of the vent, what would look like a triangle from that line to a point at the base of the tail. When you pull the hips down you will see where the hide is attached at the scrotum and I will just make a single cut between the penis bone and the scrotum. This is much easier to show than explain. When drying keep an eye on the arm pits, ear buds, and tail. These areas do not dry well and that is where I like to use some Borax to help speed the process up and help preserve the area so it does not rot, expecially the face and ears where it can be tough to get all the fat and meat off. Most local buyers will show you what they are looking for on the hides you bring in. I have talked with Pat a bunch at Sundruds and since when I go over there they always have a few guys on the clock putting fur up, they are good about giving pointers if you have questions.