Fleas

Do you have questions or tips to share on putting up your fur, this is the place to go

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Fleas

Post by lyonch »

has anyone else noticed this year that the critters seem to have a lot more fleas than usual? Every fox or coyote i have skun this year has been just full of them :shock: I usually have a can of flea and tick spray to spray them down first, but i ran out, and the last few i have done kind of makes me wonder how many of them little bastards are crawling around in places i prefer to not have them :shock: Is there anything else that you guys do to prevent this?
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Re: Fleas

Post by RandyRoede »

Chris, spray them with Bronco fly spray for horses, we get it here from Runnings, in a pump sprayer. Not that expensive and does the deal. You can spray the front of your clothes before you start, try to keep from getting direct contact with skin. Normal summer bug spray around any exposed areas of skin will keep them off. I hangem, spray them with bronco, spray my outside layer of clothes and have at it, no flea bites or tranfers to the house yet!!! Let me know how it works for ya. Rheborg uses it now and likes it.
Randy Roede
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Sounds good Randy!! Thanks for the tip :D That is the same stuff my grandpa uses on his horses. Im sure i can get this at any general farm store or feed mill that carries chemicals? I use to just use the old Raid can and it worked when i used it, but this year i ran out and i never realized how many they had. usually i dont see any before i spray but this year them little bastards are all over the place.
Chris Lyon

Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Yeah I hate them too. I skinned 4 coyotes on Monday night and they all had fleas too. I will have to look into the Bronco stuff.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Ohh c'mon a flea or two in the sheets or on the wife won't hurt anything!! :lol:
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Prairie Ghost wrote:Ohh c'mon a flea or two in the sheets or on the wife won't hurt anything!! :lol:
Exactly :lol:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

LeviM wrote:
Prairie Ghost wrote:Ohh c'mon a flea or two in the sheets or on the wife won't hurt anything!! :lol:
Exactly :lol:

I call B.S. Levi!!! You are the first one to yell "GET THE RAID CAN!!! I AM NOT TOUCHING THAT THING UNTIL IT IS SPRAYED!!" sound familiar :P

Brad is that why the wife and the dog have been itching a lot lately :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
Chris Lyon

xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

one thing that helps is to let the critter completely freeze. I just leave them outside for a week or so before I skin them out. Then bring them into and let them thaw out, spray around the tail and hind legs, that's it.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

xdeano wrote:one thing that helps is to let the critter completely freeze. I just leave them outside for a week or so before I skin them out. Then bring them into and let them thaw out, spray around the tail and hind legs, that's it.

xdeano
I left one out for a whole week then brought it inside to thaw. At that time I found a flea on one of them. Those fleas are tough buggers!
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

This time of the year, i can't just leave them sit outside for a week. The weather has been getting into the 40's during the day here. On my way home from Levi's last weekend i grabbed a can of raid, and that did the trick. It even gave them a lot nicer smell and helped cover up that lovely green belly smell :D
Chris Lyon

Jeff Rheborg
coyotehunter

Post by Jeff Rheborg »

I got one for you boys... skinned out the first batch of coyotes superbowl weekend, rolled them up and put em in the freezer until I could get them finished... thawed them out a couple weeks later to wash and finish... unrolled one and one of the biggest ticks I have ever seen was still attached. It popped off into my hand and much to my surprise the big bastard was still alive... I thought fleas were tough this guy was all but froze and still trying to get a meal...

As far as the flea thing goes, just a friendly reminder, don't forget to spray the coyotes. I still got flea bites from Dec...little sons-a-bitches

Jeff.
Jeff Rheborg, President
The Varmint Hunters Assoc.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Fleas are attracted to hosts with high estrogen. I guess thats why ive never had a problem with em. :mrgreen:
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

barebackjack wrote:Fleas are attracted to hosts with high estrogen. I guess thats why ive never had a problem with em. :mrgreen:

Thats what everyone says until there buddy says otherwise :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris Lyon

LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Jeff Rheborg wrote:I got one for you boys... skinned out the first batch of coyotes superbowl weekend, rolled them up and put em in the freezer until I could get them finished... thawed them out a couple weeks later to wash and finish... unrolled one and one of the biggest ticks I have ever seen was still attached. It popped off into my hand and much to my surprise the big bastard was still alive... I thought fleas were tough this guy was all but froze and still trying to get a meal...

As far as the flea thing goes, just a friendly reminder, don't forget to spray the coyotes. I still got flea bites from Dec...little sons-a-bitches

Jeff.
Thats wrong! How in the hell can a tick or flea stay alive after being frozen!!! Thats just plain wrong! :?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Thats wrong! How in the hell can a tick or flea stay alive after being frozen!!! Thats just plain wrong!

Jeff is right about them, they will stay dorment till the temps come back up and then they'll go at it again.. Its been dam cold here all winter and when in the skinning shed i just get it warm enough to skin the coyotes and then turn the heat back off... I was out in the fur shed the other day putting hides on the stretchers and i still picked up a few that had been sprayed twice and run through two buckets of water with soap in one of them... I had to keep the temp up in the shed to dry the hides and i came out in the mourning to turn them and i had a bunch of flies crawling around on the window and ledge..
If you guys are good this year i may send some S.D. fleas to each of you in a envelope.. :mrgreen: