Good Fur

Do you have questions or tips to share on putting up your fur, this is the place to go

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

LeviM
coyotehunter

Good Fur

Post by LeviM »

I was wondering when do coyote furs start loosing their value? I heard a couple weeks into Feb they start to rub. I was just wondering if this is true or not or is it longer?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Depends on the year. With little snow like this year they rub faster. There was coyotes at the Classic that were already junk from rubbing. Little snow hurts bad for fur quality lasting
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

what should a guy do with a coyote thats been rubbing already? Does it pay to skin them, flesh, stretch, the hole nine yards?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

It's tough to answer that one levi because it becomes a "how bad is he" question. If his hips and flanks and neck are rubbed he's junk. If it is just his neck or just his hips then a guy can look at it a few different ways. you can sell them on the round if you want or put them up it takes a little getting used to so that you can see how much a buyer docks you for rubbing.

Sorry i couldn't give you a better answer
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Thanks for the answer brad, Hopefully with some experience I will learn as I go, and maybe be as good as you are. I don't know about that!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

It's just a little expierence and a few little tricks and tips that can go a long way Levi Putting up fur is not brain surgery but a few small things when learning can go a long ways :D
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Those rubbed coyotes are great practice when first starting to put up fur.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Amen!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Thats a good point Jamie! I definetly need the practice! :?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Kurt
coyotehunter

Post by Kurt »

I agree also I had found a coyote in a draw about the second week of deer season this year. It appeared to have been shot with something small like a 22. It may have gotten away or had just been left. It wasnt frozenbut it did not smell so I threw it in the truck. When I started to skin it it got to be pretty stinky. But I washed it any way fleshed it washed it again put it on the strecher and left it. Checked after a couple of days found a small patch on it belly had slipped. It was maybe as big around as a beer can. I was not sure what to do with it. I thought it isnt like Iam going to be out anything so off the strecher it came. I made it all wet again and cut the slipped part out kind of in a football shape. Then I sewed it and put it back on the strecher. The fur buyer did not pick it out so I felt pretty proud so yes i think if you get some that are rubbed play with them. If they dont turn out what are you out just some time but look at the education you just gained.