Cheap Tanning?

Do you have questions or tips to share on putting up your fur, this is the place to go

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

EO caller

Cheap Tanning?

Post by EO caller »

I've got about twenty coyote hides in the freezer and I was thinking about getting them tanned and maybe selling them that way as apposed to raw at an auction. Price is the only issue though. Any input?
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Cheap Tanning?

Post by lyonch »

what are you seeing for prices right now? Moyles tannery is a good place to send them to get tanned, or you could ship them to me and i can take them to the local guy for around $30 a pelt. I will request them to tumble them longer than normal though from the tanned hides i have seen come from there. I have sent stuff to USA Foxx and Furs in Duluth, MN but have not had very good luck with them, but others say they had good luck with them. If i sweet talk the owner at the local shop, he might get me a reduced price if i just toss them in with the pelts i am having tanned. Everyone i talked to has about a 3 month turn around time.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Moyles is good, USA fox is a bad one to deal with. Are you planning on selling them on ebay or locally or something? A guy can make good money on tanned pelts if you are dealing with the right crowd. (tourists)
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
rorycoyote
coyotehunter

Post by rorycoyote »

i have heard good things about fursforfun.com
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Prices are shitty it sounds like Chris, 15$ for a XL unless you skin out the feet then he said 20$ . Thats the only guy I've talked to, but he usually gives a fair price for the market so I'm thinking thats kinda gonna be par for the course right now. I've seen them going for upwards of 45-60$ on e-bay and there is some touristy people around that might pay pretty good money as well.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

For prices, i have been seeing things all over the board. I heard of a guy getting $15 for a carcass coyote, and i have also heard that there are fur buyers that wont even accept them as a gift :shock: Once again, it is all speculation until this fur industry figures out what they need to do to move all fur, instead of certain commodities.

Just to let a lot of people know, i have been hearing rumors that NAFA will be canceling there january auction, or just have an online auction, but last year they did not announce this until the last pick up day. A lot of people sent them a lot of fur, hoping for a check around the end of january and had to wait until the beginning of march before anything sold. FHA has never canceled a sale/auction, and is starting to see a lot more attention from a few trappers. I'm not a salesman for either one, but just smiply stating what i have been seeing/reading.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!