Drumming fur

Do you have questions or tips to share on putting up your fur, this is the place to go

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

EO caller

Drumming fur

Post by EO caller »

I read on the NAFA site that they drum all wild fur before the auction. What does this mean as far as damage or sewing that had to be done. Does it make it easier to pick it out? I've never seen drummed fur. What would a guy have to do to make a fur drum. Old washing machine? Any pics?
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: Drumming fur

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Drumming is kinda like putting your brass in a to get cleaned. It usually consists of corn cob grit of something of the like. It helps to make the fur "fluff" and look fuller. If anything it helps to hide any mistakes that you made and gives you an overall better appearance to your pelts.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Prarie ghost is pretty close.. corncobs or corncob chuncks are used and some add saw dust or cornmeal.. It really fluffs up the hides and gives them a nice clean shine to them and also makes them look and feel silky. You can add other things to help breakup the dried blood if there is any also...

I mentioned this on another site where they were talking about putting cat hides up and no one does it, they said the fur buyer wants them stiff as a board.. The drum sure would make there hides look alot better than they are without doing it...

Here is a pic of a home-made drum.

EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Very cool. Gotta make me one of those. Thanks.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

nice drum Tim. you make i??
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

For anyone that puts up any appreciable amount of fur, a drum is as necessary as a stretcher, IMO.

We drum ALL canines and coon leather out before going on the stretchers. Sucks a lot of grease and moisture out of the leather and really gives you a head start on the drying cycle. Anything dried in an air wall (again, a must have piece of equipment for volume work) really benefits from drumming.

When we had ranch fox, all pelts were also drummed fur out with dry cleaning solvent as a final step.