Custom Barrels

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

devildogg
coyotehunter

Re: Custom Barrels

Post by devildogg »

Try wraping a patch around the brush, toward the back of the of the brush first run your brush through the bore for a while and then try the patch around the brush works pretty good you get the best of both worlds
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Tim Anderson wrote:Question: How are you guys cleaning youre barrels? Are any of you useing a brush in conjuction with running patches down the barrel???

If youre not useing a brush and youre barrel comes out clean after a dozen patches or so take and do this test. Leave solvent in the barrel after you think you got it cleaned up good with the patches and solvent and run a brush through the barrel a few times and then come back with a clean patch and tell me what you see...
You have to use the brush, and then clean brush, repeat till you get a clean patch
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

yep, i spray my bore brush with brake cleaner to clean it
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Why is everyone against a faster twist??? I got that douglas with 1-8 this year and love it! It shot the 50gr. - 55gr. just as good as the 75gr. In fact my fire form loads in 55gr. and my 75gr. A-Max, in AI shot throgh the same hole at 100yards. Never seen any issuse with lighter bullets on my end..........
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Why is everyone against a faster twist???
I'm not against it but when i have a gun built i go with the twist that is best for the weight of bullets i want to use.. To much twist can overstablize a bullet and accuracy canbe lost or it could cause a lighter bullet at high vel.s to come apart. Also if you go with to fast of a twist you may not get very good accuracy with a lighter bullet and then the gun wouldbe limited to just heavey bullets.. With a 223 with a faster twist you can sometimes have it both ways due to the fact that a 223 dose'nt shoot any of them to fast.. I had a AR at one time that had the 1-9" twist and it shot 50 gr. up to 75 very well, you'd be lucky if you could do that with a 22-250 or bigger..
So for best accuracy use the recomended twist for the bullet weights you intend to shoot..
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

nice to see you back on here Optimax :) thought maybe you were so busy shooting coyotes you hav'nt had time. :P hav'nt really seen anyone against a fast twist. we were suggesting to Lyonch to reconsider the 1-14 and go witha more middle of the road one. a buddy of mine has an ar15 with a super fast twist and say's he can't shoot 40- grain v-max's because they explode in mid air. not sure if he's yanking my chain or not :?:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Back when my Rem 700 was still a 22-250 with a 1/14 twist, I shot 40 grain vmax and 55gr NBTs I still have the targets that show both bullets will put 10 rounds under a quarter at 100 yards. My new Savage has 1/12(I believe) which I liked because it gives me even more bullet choices.

That rifle is now a semi-custom Krieger barreled .308 and it will put 110gr Vmax, 155gr Berger VLDs or 168gr Sierra Matchkings all under a dime at 100 yards and often thru the same hole.

My Ar with a 1/10 twist will shoot 40gr Vmax all the way up to 69gr SMKs both with tremendous accuracy. I can shoot long range target load or take that same rifle to the dog town and wreak havoc with the 40s.

I guess my point is that the twist counts and must match the bullet for maximum advantage but it doesnt mean that something else 5-even 15grns lighter or heavier will not work quite well.

If you want the real skinny on this topic call the Sierra tech line(www.sierrabullets.com) and talk to one of their ballistics techs. The knowledge is off the charts. Tell them what you plan on doing with the rifle and what bullet/bullets you might shoot and they will tell you exactly what will work. They are the coyotehunter.net of this stuff.

Just my experience and those of others may differ but if I was to do it all over again, I would still go with 1/12 as a nice balance between 1/14 and 1/10 and get the best of both worlds. :D

Good luck fellas,

Jaybic
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Hey bucks, I've been super busy getting my jobs all caught up, then last tuesday I had a Hernia repaired, so my season is over :( Been lying around trying not to do to much... Starting to feel a little more moble, but don't think I will be strapping on the snow snoes any time soon :)

I went with a faster twist to have more options on loads, and so far all the lighter stuff I have shot has been fine, don't know if its just luck or not but I got no problems with 50's and 55's I have been running my 55's around 3750 and got room to grow if I want!
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.