Muzzle brake

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

tubbyrob

Muzzle brake

Post by tubbyrob »

I was just wondering if a muzzle brake can be added to any rifle.If so is that something a gunsmith will do and what is the average price for something like that.

Thank You
Daryl
coyotehunter

Re: Muzzle brake

Post by Daryl »

Can be done to any rifle by a gunsmith.... $150 average
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Loud
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Very loud.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

For the one that you might find acceptable noise wise,try the Dave Gentry 'Quiet' brake.Dave I heard passed on to hunting heaven but you could try reach his wife(Bev)and son in Belgrade,Mt.I'm pretty sure they are carrying on.
GOOD stuff.Dave was a master gunsmith who accomplished unbelievable things 'smithing' in his lifetime.He was involved in many things from custom rifles,scope mounts,slug guns/slug development(Lightfield) and on and on.When I would stop in there,I couldn't leave he was so fascinating.We(unfortunately my wife owns it)only have one of his rifles left and its a 300 Win but if you're near NE SoDak you can stop by and experience how his 'brakes' reduce recoil and 'sound'.There's a reason it was named 'Quiet'.
Good hunting!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Well,nostalgia got the best of me so did a quick Yahoo search under 'Dave Gentry Rifles' and got over 73,000 hits.Wow,guess they are still in business.
http://www.gentrycustom.com/
I see they make a 'Bad Ass' tactical brake now and I know zero about that but it appears they still make the 'Quiet' one so...
The site seems pretty glitzy now but I assume(hope)his standards and quality are still there.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

There is no such thing as a Quiet brake. By changeing the design of a brake some of the loud noise canbe deverted away from the shooter but the loud noise is still there and hearing protection is still needed for the shooter and anyone standing nearby.
There where a few rifles used at the V.H. jamboree this year and they sure made a god awfull noise, no one likes to sit next to the guys that use them.. :(
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Tim,
You got reading problems again?Did you see 'acceptable ' noise?
Never said it was silent,just acceptable.
Doubt very much you've ever heard or tried one.Hearing protection is 'needed'whenever you shoot if you want the truth.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

can anyone tell me the advantages of a muzzle break?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

If its a good one=substantial reduction in recoil=perhaps for many,me for one,less 'flinching' tendency.For some,it facilitates quick target acquisition for follow up shots but that has not been the case for me.For me its recoil reduction plain and simple.I use it on anything 300 or bigger.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Nothing wrong with my reading skills.. The name of the product is Quiet brake, there is nothing quiet about them.. Like i said some brakes depending on the angle of the ports will divert some of the loud noise away from the shooter, but its still present..
I have shot a Rem. VTR with one on and have been around others. The Rem. VTR is a nice rifle if they would come without the brake they would be even better...

can anyone tell me the advantages of a muzzle break
They reduce recoil and muzzle jump ..If you installed one on a 22-250 the recoil and muzzle jump would be simular to shooting a 223..On some Cal.s you wouldbe able to see youre hits on a target
I don't have that problem with the 17 cal.s.. :mrgreen:
The downside is they are louder than a rifle without one installed from the shooters position and they affect anyone sitting or standing next to the shooter.. Some of the muzzle brakes depending on the angle the ports are cut will blow dirt or snow back up towards the shooter and any unburned powder also..
They where designed to be used with the big bores to make them more managleble for the guys with a smaller frame..

If i was into Elk hunting or other big-game and had one of the big bore rifles i proably would use one, but for pred. hunting its not needed...
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

There is such a thing as a Quiet Brake. See "context".

To summarize, a decent muzzle brake reduces felt recoil and you can add to any rifle. Any I’ve used seemed to lessen the recoil energy by half. The difference in muzzle brakes per maker is that the level of recoil reduction varies by degree and quality/design- Like most inventions, some perform better than others whether more or less able to displace pressure, more or less discreet, more or less loud ("Quiet" Brake)... all have their place. A brake also protects the muzzle crown. As mentioned, the downside of using a brake is that the sound of the blast is louder from the shooter's vantage.

Most of the popular hunting rifle brakes cost around $100 plus $50 or so to install. It’s rare to see them on anything less than an ultra-light .25 cal sheep rig although most are added elk or bigger calibers (7M or bigger), virtually essential on .30 to .50 tactical stuff. Is there a benefit to a varmint cal when you consider a .243 is at the big end of the spectrum with #7 pounds of recoil energy? Maybe, free country...

As far as the Gentry “Quiet Brake” design goes, they may be the quietest of brakes. I have a Gentry on a 7M Mag and I can't say it's louder than shooting without the brake (brakes can be quickly removed). At the end of the day my 7M's felt recoil is reduced to that of a .243 of a similar weight rig, a reduction of more than 50%.

It has been 10 or more years since I bought my Gentry brake and I don’t remember contemplating whether “Quiet” equated to such a thing as a quiet muzzle blast. I figured “Quiet” meant less loud. I think I had it right.
Last edited by Pilgrim on Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
tubbyrob

Post by tubbyrob »

Alot of great info and all of my questions taken care of. Thanks for all you input
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Ah yes.Pilgrim I forgot you had one.
My offer stands,want to shoot a Quiet brake-Quiet on a 300,stop by.AND,the 300 feels like my 243.My buddy Als 338 feels/sounds the same.Facts,not opinions.