carlisle body grippers

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Kurt
coyotehunter

carlisle body grippers

Post by Kurt »

Have any of you guys used any of these traps are they worth the extra money?
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: carlisle body grippers

Post by lyonch »

I dont think a dead animal will tell the difference between one brand to another when it comes to a body grip trap. I know you will tell the difference in spring strength when you set them, but personally i have always felt that a dead critter is just as dead with a duke as it is a belisle. As long as you catch critters with them thats all that matters.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

Well I might have to disagree on this one. Yeah if they come straight on a body grip trap their toast either way. But here is where the Belisle traps are a step above. I've caught a few beaver by their front leg with the belisle that have held them tell I came back, with a duke they would have gotten away. I've seen beavers get into a duke and get away. The jaws can be spread just a bit and that's enough, the belisle might have an 1/8" gap if your lucky. I know people that have gotten both thumbs in a belisle and couldn't get out, while I've also heard the same with the dukes and they just wiggled out. Of course this was after some creative language.

But in general, save a few bucks and get a dozen more dukes.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

xdeano, I agree if your trapping beaver you might want buy a Belisle, but trapping coon with bucket sets or trails sets, I say go with the duke traps. Once they put there head in, there done. They cost less, and it doesnt sting as bad when someone steals on or two.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I commented on the carisle and Belisle traps as if you were trapping coon. Xdeano is right when it comes to trapping beaver. You will definitely want a trap that will hold. A beaver is a lot stronger than a coon and you really need that exra pinch to hold them. If you are coon trapping stick with the cheap dukes for the reasons levi mentioned and have fun. Yes you will have some chice french words when you catch yourself :shock: The bottom line is they all hurt when you get caught :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!