Howa rifles

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

barebackjack
coyotehunter

Howa rifles

Post by barebackjack »

Anybody have any experience with these?

I may have a sweet deal cookin on one in .308 but have no experience with them (other than handling them in the store) and cant seem to find to many guys that have first hand experience with them.

They seem solid. The only thing I am leery of is the M16 style ejector.

(The deal is on the one with the goofy looking adjustable stock).
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Howa rifles

Post by lyonch »

Daryl on the site had one for a while i think, but sold it to someone. He would be the guy to ask for how it shot.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Thanks for the heads up.
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

I had a chance to shoot a friend's Howa 1500 in .223, which I believe is built on a Remington action. Didn't have the adjustable, recoil-reducing stock, but shot pretty well at the range. Definitley would ask Daryl about the Howa Axiom he sold.
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Sorry 1Shooter but Howa has there own action but Weatherby Vanguards are built on a Howa action.. :wink:
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

What does this mean then? Ran across it when I looked it up awhile ago when my buddy said he has a Remington 1500. Is it just that the stock is meant to resemble a Remington or something like that?
http://www.howa1500.com/category/804-ho ... ngton.aspx
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Not sure I am following you.. It is chambered for .223 Remington but not with a Remington action.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

BBJ is it a Howa 1500?

As was said, the Weatherby Vanguards are I think built by Howa. I own a Weatherby Vanguard in 223 and I LOVE THE GUN! It is a very solid shooter and I like the blocky forend (nice for my bipod) and the cheekpiece (is this what they call a Monte Carlo type stock?). I would actually like to get another Vanguard in 243 and get rid of my Ruger 243. With that said, I wouldn't hesitate to get a Howa 1500 either. They are both real good guns for the money. I like the Howa 1500 that has the rubberized grippy stock.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Hey Fallguy: What model ruger, and what you got to get for it????

Looking on building a .243 Ackley Improved and was thinking of using the Ruger Action. I got a couple of Ruger M77 in 25-06 & 30-06 cal. And like that action alot.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Critrgtr
coyotehunter

Post by Critrgtr »

My brother in law has one of them Howas in a 22-250 and it is a nice shooting gun. It came as the package deal with the Nikko (not Nikon) scope. The gun itself is pretty good I think but the scope is nothing special. I think if a person bought just the gun and put a different scope on there you would have a pretty good gun.
I also have the Weatherby Vanguard in a 22-250 and I wouldnt trade that gun for anything. Right out of the box it was and still is a good shooting gun. So if Weatherby and Howa are basically the same gun I wouldnt hesitate on a Howa.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Optimax90 wrote:Hey Fallguy: What model ruger, and what you got to get for it????

Looking on building a .243 Ackley Improved and was thinking of using the Ruger Action. I got a couple of Ruger M77 in 25-06 & 30-06 cal. And like that action alot.
It's a M77 Mark II .243
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Fallguy wrote:
Optimax90 wrote:Hey Fallguy: What model ruger, and what you got to get for it????

It's a M77 Mark II .243
If your serious about getting rid of it send me a PM. I looking for just a bare gun, no scope or extras.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
rorycoyote
coyotehunter

Post by rorycoyote »

i've got a howa with the hogue stock in 22-250 with the heavey barrel. i like the gun lots. i like the fact that it holds 5 instead of 4 shells like my ruger m77 (old style). sometimes that one extra shell is nice. if i had the cords for the cam i would show off a couple of yotes that it has dropped
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Critrgtr wrote:My brother in law has one of them Howas in a 22-250 and it is a nice shooting gun. It came as the package deal with the Nikko (not Nikon) scope. The gun itself is pretty good I think but the scope is nothing special. I think if a person bought just the gun and put a different scope on there you would have a pretty good gun.
I also have the Weatherby Vanguard in a 22-250 and I wouldnt trade that gun for anything. Right out of the box it was and still is a good shooting gun. So if Weatherby and Howa are basically the same gun I wouldnt hesitate on a Howa.
My partner just bought a Howa 25-06 with the Nikko Sterling 4.5X12 as a package deal. He paid 586.00 and after 1 box of shells it started shooting all over the place. :evil: We took the scope off and I sold him a cheapy Nikon, we slapped it on and the problem was solved. :roll: Moral of the story. Howa Good :D Nikko Sterling BAD :evil:
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"