.20 caliber (.204) 26 grain Varmint Grenade

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

204sniper
coyotehunter

.20 caliber (.204) 26 grain Varmint Grenade

Post by 204sniper »

When I first started handloading for my .204 Ruger I was loading 26 grain Barnes Varmint Grenades. I was struck by the promise of explosive impacts on smaller critters, and internal damage on larger critters with little or no exit damage. I haven't experienced anything like the results that were promised with my .204. Prairie dogs, though disemboweled, don't explode as advertised, and the exit holes that bullets leave in fox are big enough to stick a fist through. I've had much better results with Remington Accu-tips (make prairie dogs EXPLODE past 400 yards :twisted: ) and Sierra Blitzkings (make crows and pigeons disappear :twisted: ). Has anyone tried Varmint Grenades in .22 caliber? I'm wondering if they just don't have the energy in .20 caliber, being such a light bullet, to achieve optimal expansion.
- Jeffrey Emerson

Close only counts in horseshoes and handgrenades....

Only YOU can prevent wildfires, which is good, because I've got things to do.

"That'll learn ya."
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: .20 caliber (.204) 26 grain Varmint Grenade

Post by bucksnbears »

sniper, i've used the 36 grain in .22 in both my 250 and 222. the are super acurate out of the 250 with a 1-12 twist. i wont shoot them at coyotes anymore as i've had to many get away. 50-50 on fox some have no damage some have lots. they do not shoot as well in the 222 1-14 but do a great job on fox. the 250 is about 4300fps the .222 about3500
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Hi.I don't own a 204 but think its a very interesting round the more I read about it.AND man it pushes the button on lots of people which I enjoy. :D Keep a few things in mind about the round.First,most that respond to inquiries haven't shot it or,if they have,haven't really tested it out.You'll get opinions,or 'stories' they've seen or heard or....
Try put reason on the problem.It has the speed,it has ample 'energy' for predators and ballistically its amazing.What it doesn't have are the bullets(now may but 'knowledge' on them,how to load them etc lags behind)needed for the use you may want to apply it to.Coyotes for example.All that will come but often takes years.
Historically that happens with MANY cartridges that ' shake' foundations and put to question old views.I won't bore you with details but check the 'myths,views,controversy' etc that accompanied say the 220 Swift.Some myths about that still persist.Or in more recent context,look at the short magnums and the 'myths'(on both sides)of them.(ha,a little research will show how the 243 and even the 22-250 were treated initially)
I think you're on the right track-bullets are the issue,not velocity,energy,ballistics.
204sniper
coyotehunter

Post by 204sniper »

Dcoy,
I think I may need to clarify. I love my .204, but I don't like the varmint grenades. With the 39 grain Sierra Blitzkings the rifle is a VERY effective killing machine on critters up to fox. I can't speak for coyotes yet as I've only shot one with it so far, but the results with that one were one .20 caliber entrance hole with no exit hole, and instantaneous death. P.S. Don't shoot squirrels with a 39 grain Blitzking if you intend to eat them :wink: .
- Jeffrey Emerson

Close only counts in horseshoes and handgrenades....

Only YOU can prevent wildfires, which is good, because I've got things to do.

"That'll learn ya."
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Gotcha.Understood.